• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New masking Tool... and why ADOBE has to FIX it!!!

Enthusiast ,
Dec 01, 2016 Dec 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

as we all know the new masking tool has.. well lets say it kindly.... has grave issues.

this is not about noobs having problems to create a good mask. many people who complain have years any years of experience.

it´s about the new tool working WORSE than the old refine edge tool.

there are dozend and dozend of complains (adobe seems not to care about or just denies the problems exist).

here is a video (using CC2017) that explains in 40 minutes what´s wrong with the masking tool it and gives some help how you can still make use of it.

still..... ADOBE HAS TO FIX THIS!!!

BREAKDOWN: Select and Mask vs. Refine Edge - Photoshop CC - YouTube

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find some images where S&M works well and some where the select and refine edge works better.

The visibility of selections is quicker and better (IMO) in select and mask. The refine edge tool works differently (and I agree does need further work). However, at the moment, both refine edge tools are still available. You can even make an initial selection in S&M come out of S&M with a selection and then go into the old refine edge.

To access the old refine edge :

With a selection made go to menu Select and then hold the shift key down and click on Select and Mask in the drop down menu.

How long that option will remain I don't know

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the new tool works better in 15% of the cases.

in 85% it works worse.

that´s my experience an the experience of most people i talked to,

in roughly 1 of 10 images it works better.

in most of my cases it just destroys hard edges.. as shown in the video i linked too.

the adobe feedback forum has dozend of threads where people complain.

that´s not just for fun.. it´s because there is something wrong with this new tool.

i know how to use the old tool in CC2017.. but that is maybe just a temp solution.

i am not sure if adobe will keep this legacy code in future updates.

and i fear the day we only have mask and select......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 04, 2016 Dec 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe will not keep the legacy tool. They know there are some issues with the current one and are working to fix those issues. Once they feel it's fixed, they will remove the old tool. They want to keep down the amount of code that needs maintaining in PS, so only one version will remain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines