• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

OBJ Export Frustrations

Advisor ,
Dec 30, 2016 Dec 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a scene which contains a few 3D objects created within Photoshop.  I want to export those 3D objects individually from Photoshop as OBJ files.  With the 3D object layer selected I go to the 3D menu > Export 3D Layer; followed by changing the 3D File Format to Wavefront|OBJ toggling off Scene & Textures and changing the texture format, despite turning textures off to JPEG.  When the OBJ file gets exported it is 0 bytes. 

I've attempted these same steps numerous times and the results are the same; and I can't figure out why.  Anyone who has worked in a 3D package before, OBJ files can be relatively small; with that in mind I still made sure I had a few free gigs of disk space. All these experiments were done using PhotoshopCC-2017.0.1

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

Hi,

Can you post the source PSD file? Also, have you tried with leaving 'Scene' checked on.

regards,

steve

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bump

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi StrongBeaver

I must have missed this post when the forum search was broken.

I remember we had a PM conversation about this and I couldn't replicate so said I would attach the steps I take to a forum post.

So with a simple 3D extrusion (the letter A)

I go to menu 3D - Export 3D layer

.....and from the resulting menu choose Wavefront|OBJ and Texture format TIFF

On hitting OK I give the object file a name (in this case Letter.obj

When I hit save the following files are saved :

Note - If I had created any textures they would also be saved as TIFFs

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you post the source PSD file? Also, have you tried with leaving 'Scene' checked on.

regards,

steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First off, the steps davescm posted are the exact same steps I did to export a mesh to OBJ only to have a 0kb file size OBJ file

SG... Leaving Scene checked ON, successfully create a OBJ file for which I can work with, although a week ago it was producing the same 0kb file.

It would be nice if toggling scene off would not cause a 0kb OBJ file to be exported in the future for Photoshop, if that is possible ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm asking about the utility of that option now, as it seems odd to offer in the export. My reading of 'scene' is camera, lights, meshes, materials inclusive so with it off a 0kb OBJ seems correct...but useless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SG... I feel the same.  I thought it doesn't matter if I export the scene or not the OBJ file should not be 0kb.  Hopefully someone whom you communicate with can get this issue solved in a patch release or what have you, I would, and hopefully other appreciate it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 06, 2017 Jan 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

I logged a bug to have this resolved in a future update. Those 2 options should not be displayed for VRML and OBJ formats.

regards,

steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines