• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Patch Tool - Won't let me select what I need

Engaged ,
Feb 25, 2017 Feb 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New to PS & learning as I go. Trying to eliminate a ceiling fan shadow from the ceiling. When I select the tool & circle the area to patch it will only allow me to move upward & to the left a bit or right & each of those areas don't match the ceiling color properly. If I move it in a direction that matches better it will return to the space selected, however if I move it in the direction it wants to go & select something completely incorrect it will use it. Now if I choose to eliminate a a/c vent in the ceiling it replaces it with the proper patch to remove it completely. BTW this is still using the same image. Settings on Tool Bar: Patch Tool - New Selection - Patch: Normal - Source Selected, using a single image & no layers. Is it possible to select an area I wish to use or am I at the mercy of using the only directions it give me?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

Thanks but now it appears to be working properly, must have hit a key on the keyboard by accident causing an error.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

That does not sound normal, you can usually use any area you like. However, not all blend well and sometimes a shadow will still be blended if the edge of the selection is against another object. Are you able to post a screenshot of the area showing what you are doing?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have a screen shot, closed PS then tried it again and it worked? I must have hit a key by accident, there are so many short cuts & ways to do the same thing using different methods its very frustrating, getting there though, have come a long way in just a week or so trying to fit in my busy schedule. I've used Lr for post for 2 yrs now & just recently built a new pc & decided to go with CC, always wanted to learn PS & knew it would be a learning curve. Thx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you got it working. Keep practicing and keep asking - you'll soon see how it works

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It almost sounds like you have SHIFT pressed down or key stuck.

/G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I switched from Normal on the tool bar to Replace & it seemed to work better. Healing something out in the open like a recessed light fixture or a/c vent it works just fine but a shadow cast by a ceiling fan blade on the ceiling it has trouble, its not out there by itself it's right up against the other object shadow next to blade, maybe if there was separation with ceiling color in between it might be best but it is what it is. I will check my keyboard though to see if there is a stuck key. Thx.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 26, 2017 Feb 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hmmmn, just saw this... maybe something in it that has same effect using patch tool

Screen Shot 2017-02-26 at 4.55.48 PM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks but now it appears to be working properly, must have hit a key on the keyboard by accident causing an error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines