Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pen tool - regarding combine shapes and subtract front shape

New Here ,
Apr 11, 2020 Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe community,

I have a question concerning the pen tool, specifically the "combine shapes" and "subtract front shape" modes.

My preference is combining shapes when making a selection and/or fill using the pen tool. I've been unintentionally hitting what I believe may be a keyboard shortcut, that switches "combine shapes" to "subtract front shape" resulting in a selection and/or fill of the inverse of the pen path/shape. 

Does anyone know the hotkey for this action? This has been a bit of an annoyance that i've tried to figure out on my own but have had no luck.

any help is greatly appreciated!

EDIT -

I have not yet found a solution but I have found the keyboard shortcuts in case anyone else has a similar issue. When in pen mode, it's + to combine shapes, and - to subtract front shape.

I use a cintique with the programmable EK Remote. I do not have - + assigned to any of the buttons so i'm still unsure as to what is causing this. I have the default alt, shift, ctrl and space keys assigned to the center four buttons which I use frequently. I'm wondering if it may have something to do with this.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I believe you were talking about holding the:

shift key (temporarily sets the pen tool to combine)

alt key (temporarily sets the pen tool to subtract).

I'm also having the same issue. I used to be able to do this with previous photoshop versions. but now I don't know how to enable it, or if this is still possible with the current version. But it was really convenient.

No photoshop tutorials helps right now I'm so frustrated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines