• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Performance on MacBook Pro 15" 2015 (CC 2017 - 2020)

Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone,

until recently, I used the CC 2017 Version on Photoshop on my 2015 MacBook Pro. It was running very fast but I wanted to upgrade to have the new Mandala-Brush-Function. Unfortunately, Photoshop 2020 is running really slow on the machine and I wanted to ask if there are useful tweaks to push up the performance or do I have to stick with the 2017 Version? 

I'm doing sketches and concept rendering mainly working on 4500x2500px pictures so my main tools are brushes and paths (with a lot of layers).

thank you for your help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What have you done for trouble-shooting so far? 

Restoring Preferences after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved might be a good starting point:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html

As for Photoshop Performance: 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/optimize-photoshop-cc-performance.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before Installing the new 2020 Version, I deleted all Adobe Apps from my mashine with the provided Uninstaller Program by Adobe and rebooted my system to wipe it all clean. Also deleted all the Application Support Data.

I also tried to tweak the settings in your link ("optimize Photoshop CC Performance") which I found yesterday as well. Unfortunately, I didn't see any improvement with performance with different settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could re-install CC 2017 after making sure all customized presets (like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc.) and Workspaces and … have been back-uped.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I would like to use CC 2017, I could just do it. Its up and running on my system. My question was if I could get CC 2020 to work smootly on my mashine. I don't really understand why the newer version would need so much more resources to work with? Badly coded?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, what are the full specs of your computer (OS version , RAM etc.) and what are your Performace-related Photoshop Preferences? 

»Badly coded?«

I think none of the regulars on this Forum would deny that Photoshop 

• has bugs and 

• there are »issues« that may not be qualify as »bugs« but would deserve addressing nonetheless 

but »on my machine Photoshop does not perform as I expect« does not yet fully prove that conclusion. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply, my MacBook Pro is running MacOS Catalina 10.15.4 (19E266).

The Specs are:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

2,2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

256GB SSD Flash Storage

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RAM should be fine, but I wonder about your GPU as it does not seem to be listed asa tested one. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cc-gpu-card-faq.html#Whichgraphicscardsaretested

Does turning off »Use Graphics Processor« in the Performance Preferences (Photoshop > Preferences > Performance > Graphic Processor Settings) and restarting Photoshop have any bearing on the issue? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If 2017 runs at all on Catalina, it will probably stop soon. Apple are forcing all new apps. Certainly you can't install 2017 on Catalina.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines