Highlighted

Photoshop 21.2.4+22.0.1 +Nvidia GPU on Windows 10 - initial hang after open for specific operations

New Here ,
Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Photoshop Community,

I'm experiencing hangs in the order of 32-50s after starting Photoshop for specific operations: file open / new file and Edit->Preferences->Performance. It only happens only once, a short while after lauch. Subsequent operations perform as expected. The behavior is GPU-related and consistent for both PS 21.2.4 and 22.0.1 on the same PC:

a)  with the GPU disabled, file open / new operations after lauch don't exhibit a hang. Edit->Preferences->(any suboption except Performance) open without delay. But as soon as I switchto the Performance tab, PS freezes for 20-50s. No further delays after that.

b)  with the GPU enabled, file open / new operations and Edit->Preference->Performance all exhibit a temporary freeze first time after lauch. No further delays after that.

I've observed this before with recent Nvidia gaming drivers: 456.38/456.71/457.09. The corresponding studio drivers (same versions) were seemingly ok. That was with a GTX 1650 GPU. So gaming driver issue then. Not quite...

Last week, I managed to buy a (still rare) RTX 3070. That brand new card wasn't yet supported by the then available studio drivers so I had to use the lastest gaming driver (457.30). The problem described above re-appeared. On Novemeber 17th, Nivida released a studio driver (same version, 457.30) supporting the RTX 3070. To my surprise, it did not fix the temporary Photoshop freezes. To be absolutely sure, I performed a full device driver uninstall / reinstall (DDU utility + safeboot) but still, the temporary freezes persist even with the new studio driver.

My theory - when the GPU is enabled, Photoshop performs a device (driver) check / initialization routine when using the GPU first time. Not at launch itself but when calling a function that triggers GPU-dependent code first time. The interaction between that code path and the some recent Nvida device drivers seems to very inefficient.  Once the initialization is complete, normal processing occurs.

With the GPU disabled, the only function calling the CPU is the Preferences->Performance dialog as it must interrogate the GPU driver about the device's capability.

My system config: AMD 3950x, 128GB RAM, Windows 10 2004 (fully patched). Nvidia GPU / driver as above.

Regards,

Roland

TOPICS
Crash or freeze, Performance, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Photoshop 21.2.4+22.0.1 +Nvidia GPU on Windows 10 - initial hang after open for specific operations

New Here ,
Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Photoshop Community,

I'm experiencing hangs in the order of 32-50s after starting Photoshop for specific operations: file open / new file and Edit->Preferences->Performance. It only happens only once, a short while after lauch. Subsequent operations perform as expected. The behavior is GPU-related and consistent for both PS 21.2.4 and 22.0.1 on the same PC:

a)  with the GPU disabled, file open / new operations after lauch don't exhibit a hang. Edit->Preferences->(any suboption except Performance) open without delay. But as soon as I switchto the Performance tab, PS freezes for 20-50s. No further delays after that.

b)  with the GPU enabled, file open / new operations and Edit->Preference->Performance all exhibit a temporary freeze first time after lauch. No further delays after that.

I've observed this before with recent Nvidia gaming drivers: 456.38/456.71/457.09. The corresponding studio drivers (same versions) were seemingly ok. That was with a GTX 1650 GPU. So gaming driver issue then. Not quite...

Last week, I managed to buy a (still rare) RTX 3070. That brand new card wasn't yet supported by the then available studio drivers so I had to use the lastest gaming driver (457.30). The problem described above re-appeared. On Novemeber 17th, Nivida released a studio driver (same version, 457.30) supporting the RTX 3070. To my surprise, it did not fix the temporary Photoshop freezes. To be absolutely sure, I performed a full device driver uninstall / reinstall (DDU utility + safeboot) but still, the temporary freezes persist even with the new studio driver.

My theory - when the GPU is enabled, Photoshop performs a device (driver) check / initialization routine when using the GPU first time. Not at launch itself but when calling a function that triggers GPU-dependent code first time. The interaction between that code path and the some recent Nvida device drivers seems to very inefficient.  Once the initialization is complete, normal processing occurs.

With the GPU disabled, the only function calling the CPU is the Preferences->Performance dialog as it must interrogate the GPU driver about the device's capability.

My system config: AMD 3950x, 128GB RAM, Windows 10 2004 (fully patched). Nvidia GPU / driver as above.

Regards,

Roland

TOPICS
Crash or freeze, Performance, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 19, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an NVIDIA RTX 2060 6Gb - with latest drivers (457.30)  - Intel I7 Windows 10 Pro 24gb Ram - Latest PS with 22.0.1. 

If I set Use GPU in Preferences, PS crashes when I try to open a saved image. This is regardless of which  Advanced GPU options I use. If I turn off Use GPU PS performs normally. This problem has only manifested itself in the last week or so. I have releoaded the graphics drivers twice. Any ideas?

Cheers, Brian

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 22, 2020 0
rome2807 LATEST
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brian,

I would think this is most likely dependent on the file content or format. What type of file are you trying to open?

To illustrate - with the same software stack (PS and driver version number (studio driver)) and GPU enabled (advanced settings; all sub options (except 30bit display) enabled), I performed a stress test. Simultaneous open of five files (drag and drop; each about 2.8GB / 96 Mpixel multilayered TIFFs (high-res scans of 4x5" film). Copied a few layers, applied filters (gaussian blur, NIK and Topaz plugins (all GPU enabled) on the copied layers), finally saved as a copy (LZW-compressed PSB format; very slow but successful). No stability issues observed. Same for a similar test with 21.2.4.

The next variable to consoder is gaming vs studio driver - there may be subtle differences even with the same version number. 457.30 gaming did seem to work ok but I didn't stress it to the extent described.

The only GPU-dependent crash (457.30 studio) I have observed so far is with a Nikon RAW file (47mpix Z7 NEF) in Camera Raw when applying the the Enhance Details operation. Reproducible at will in 22.0.1, crash submitted to Adobe with the description.  The same operation on 21.2.4 succeeded.

I would recommend you test with few different files (content / type). If you oberve consistent crashes with the GPU enabled, it is most likely the driver installation (gaming vs studio or interference from leftovers of previous drivers e.g. preferences, DLLs, registry keys).

Regards,

Roland

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 23, 2020 0