• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop automatically optimizing by deleting hidden parts of images?

New Here ,
Oct 07, 2020 Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had a problem with Photoshop for quite some time that I've never been able to find an answer to.

Photoshop for some reason optimizes images when saving them, as in it deletes hidden parts of an image to save space.

An example:

Example1.png

My layer is a solid color.

Example2.png

My mask is a circle, which is applied to the above layer.

Example3.png

When I save the image and I remove the layer mask transparency, this is the new image.

I've tried saving the image to multiple formats, which doesn't seem to make a difference. PNG, TGA, TIF etc.

Does anyone know if it's possible to disable this "feature" ?

For the people who want to try it themselves, I've attached a PSD file to this topic. Simply open this file and save it as another format. Open the newly saved file and go to Layer > Layer Mask > From Transparency. This will seperate the image and the mask and you should be able to see the difference.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»Does anyone know if it's possible to disable this "feature" ?«

As fas as I know it cannot be turned off and it is indeed a feature. 

Suppose the Layer Mask is applied not to a Solid Color Layer but to a noisy photographic image – the amount of trash data could seriously affect file-size. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see how it is useful for a lot of use cases. But I would much rather that Photoshop didn't make that decision for me.

In game art, a lot of time you end up with textures where you use RGBA as 4 seperate Grayscale images. Which makes optimizations like this highly undesireable, since it removes data I want to use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, it is still called Photoshop; while it offers a lot of features that exceed the original »purpose« they do often seem to lack in comparisson to those of dedicated software (for example animation). 

Can you circumvent png? Does the software you use to process the images further possibly accept psd?

Maybe you could automate a conversion to a »plain« multi-channel image in another format in Photoshop … 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines