Exit

Photoshop Freezing (and Illustrator)

Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody,

hopefully someone here can help me.

I got a "new" laptop to work on a month ago and Photoshop (& Illustrator) just freezes at some point.
To get this straight, when I got the Macbook, I formatted the SSD, reinstalled the operating system and installed the programs afterwards, the problem occurred on the first day of work.

To describe the problem in more detail:
At some point, the user interface half freezes, which means that the drawing area is no longer updated and I can no longer work.
But the program still reacts, i.e. I can switch the Photoshop tab to another document, but the document is not displayed, but only a transparent area in the size of the document where Photoshop crashed.
I can save, that means I don't lose any data, which is good.
The only thing that helps is to close the program, which works without force quit, because it still reacts.
Photoshop and Illustrator have exactly the same problem, but it never happens at the same time, sometimes one program crashes, then the other one.
The crashing is random, sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes only once a day, but sometimes it happens 7-8 times a day.
I don't know if other creative cloud applications show the same errors, because I'm mostly working with these two programs.

My MacBook does not have any problems, Blender 3D, Logic Pro and everything else is running perfectly as it should and I don't experience problems/crashes/freezes with anything else I'm doing.

My configuration:
MacBook Pro 15-inch Mid 2015 Retina
Intel Core i7 4770hq
16GB RAM
Intel Iris Pro Graphics

MacOS Catalina - latest update
Creative Cloud - latest update

I hope you can help me.

If I left out any information please let me now, I will update it.

Best regards
Denis 😊

EDIT:

Sadly, I did notice that my second laptop, an Dell XPS 15 (9550) has the exact same error than my MacBook Pro.

On the XPS I'm using a lower version of Photoshop, the 2019 release, so it's not an OS or version error I think, it seems like it has to do with my/the creative cloud or my account.

I actually don't know what to do, I really need these programs for work...

I completely reformatted the XPS before installing the creative cloud and installed just Photoshop, but still there is the error.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 02, 2020 May 02, 2020

It was the drivers from my Wacom Intuos Pro (PTH-651).
I deinstalled the drivers and the crashing and freezing disappeared.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you running them at the same time? What other apps do you have open? First - reset the preferences for both apps. Then, close everything else while running them. Try running them one at a time. 

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Online Courses Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I'm running them at the same time, while also running Microsoft Teams, Excel, Outlook and Word, Chrome, Spotify and sometimes Blender 3D.
But Photoshop freezed again about 10 minutes ago, without any other program open, so I don't think it's because of the other programs/having to much stuff open.

I will try to delete the preferences files, hopefully that'll help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2020 May 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It was the drivers from my Wacom Intuos Pro (PTH-651).
I deinstalled the drivers and the crashing and freezing disappeared.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines