Highlighted

Photoshop - holding shift not constraining proportions when resizing

New Here ,
Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated my CC today and now my shift button is not constraining proportions.

I have tried it with no other programs open so I don't think that key commends in other apps are affecting it.

This is a big problem! Is this a setting now? Am I missing something? Help!

Thank you Jane. This will resolve everyones issue with this. I know it has been driving me crazy since the first day Adobe pushed this update and I finally had enough. 

The only problem with the solution is it's on page 3. Hopefully Adobe moves this to the first page as a Fixed resolution.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Photoshop - holding shift not constraining proportions when resizing

New Here ,
Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated my CC today and now my shift button is not constraining proportions.

I have tried it with no other programs open so I don't think that key commends in other apps are affecting it.

This is a big problem! Is this a setting now? Am I missing something? Help!

Thank you Jane. This will resolve everyones issue with this. I know it has been driving me crazy since the first day Adobe pushed this update and I finally had enough. 

The only problem with the solution is it's on page 3. Hopefully Adobe moves this to the first page as a Fixed resolution.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 16, 2018 3
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi carolynp,

It's the new feature in Photoshop where in you don't need to hold down the shift for resizing the image. Please refer the following link to know what's new in the release: New and enhanced features | Latest release of Photoshop CC

Let us know your feedback.

Regards,

Mohit

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 16, 2018 0
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is supposed to be an improvement but it doesn't make sense having this feature different from all the apps like illustrator.

What it doesn't make sense either is that for SHAPE layers you STILL need to Hold Shift for proportional scaling and Shift + Alt to proportional scaling from axis. At least having the option to modify this would be appreciated. If there is a way to change this please advice.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 16, 2018 6
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We know if does not make sense but they decided to do it. You can use the legacy behavior by going to the preferences:

Performance: Enable the Legacy Composting

Screen Shot 2019-04-09 at 13.40.17.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 09, 2019 3
Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the Transform tool, I like that the 'Maintain Aspect Ratio' in the Photoshop update is now checked 'ON' by default.

This should be on for when tapping in numeric values in the top bar, but when manual scaling the canvas, I agree, the universal Shift drag makes sense.

Cheers

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 09, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Apr 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both for responding!

I tried both Legacy Compositing and the Constraint Toggle suggestions, but wasn't able to revert the scaling behavior. The 'Maintain Aspect Ratio' literally didn't do anything. I looked it up and there was a bug report 6mo on that too. It's prob me at this point.

I think I will try tweaking the prefs with a text editor from the above post next.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 09, 2019 0
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hurray!!!! thank you for the work around. You saved my sanity!!!!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 01, 2019 0
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A Better Work-Around:  

While in transform mode, turn off maintain aspect ratio mode in the toolbar scaling options.  Photoshop will respect this as your prefferance for constraining or not constraining an image when manually dragging.  When it is unchecked, it goes back to the default behavior of requiring shift to constrain.  

Capture.JPG

If you are working on something where you want toolbar scaling to constrain, and dragging to not constrain, you can press capslock. (Although I admit this can be annoying because it also effects other things like if your brushes show in percise vs normal mode).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 02, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a suggestion: how about when these changes are made a little window pops up and says something like "Warning: we changed the way you've been doing it for 30 years because... just because."

At least then we wouldn't spend time googling what is an apparent bug in the latest release.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 29, 2018 16
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I usually don't write in this Forums but this is quite frustrating and again, it doesn't make sense;

I'm really trying to get comfortable with this new feature but is still buggy and that makes it very hard and disruptive, as there are some instances where this feature doesn't apply and you STILL need to hold shift to constrain proportions for example:

• Shape layers
  • Imported graphics from Illustrator
  • Some Smart objects (dragged from finder. More specifically from the desktop)
  • Smart objects "via copy"

Is there a way to go back to the old feature?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 31, 2018 12
Participant ,
Nov 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

Just like to add my penn'orth to the comments above and congratulate Adobe for one of this brainless adaptation. I have been using PS since Dec 1991 (when it was about 18months old) and to my certain knowledge i have NEVER dragged and scaled an image without constraining the proportions - not for that matter have I done so without wanting to keep the image centered about its current position. I guess there must be people out there who like to see the proportions of an image randomly change whilst dragging (Adobe developers for instance) and also to have the image fly off the paste board whilst scaling so it has to be manually dragged back into position but I (who regard myself as a reasonably rational user) are not amongst them.

Happily I found this fix:

To revert to the legacy transform behavior, do the following:

Use Notepad (Windows) or a text editor on Mac OS to create a plain text file (.txt). Type the text below in the text file:

TransformProportionalScale 0

Save the file as PSUserConfig.txt to your Photoshop settings folder:

Windows: [Installation Drive]:\Users[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings\

macOS: //Users/[User Name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings/

I did this and it works.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 12, 2018 11
Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for this helpful suggestion. My only advice to Adobe: "If it's not broken, don't fix it!"

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 08, 2019 2
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot, stupid update they did- this has been bothering me for a while and you made their idiocy disappear, gratitude~

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 23, 2019 0
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Center scaling makes fitting an image to its container MUCH harder.  95% of the time when  I am resizing an image is right after I paste it meaning it's already not where it is supposed to be; so, keeping it centered is useless.  But, getting it centered is much easier when you first possition one corner to the upper-left limit of your desired area, then drag the lower right corner until it fits.  This way it is perfectly centered and fitted with two simple mouse drags.  

As for default constraining, this depends a lot on the kind of graphics you are working with.  If you are working with photography, then yes, 100% of what you are doing should be constrained.  When you are doing graphic design work, you almost never want it constrained.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 02, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Nov 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see this like a useful feature. It's terrible! Ugh!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 12, 2018 2
Explorer ,
Nov 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Inconsistent with other apps, and no attempt from Adobe to communicate a fairly significant change to one of the most basic functions of the application. I lost an hour trying to figure this out. Very frustrating.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 30, 2018 3
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is one of the most ridiculous updates ever – in fact, it IS the most ridiculous.

What can the reasoning behind having different constrain methods for different types of objects, when the method EVERYONE knows works perfectly well?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 20, 2018 5
Explorer ,
Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mohit for posting a link to the fix.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 07, 2019 0
Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Funny thing is it's an infuriating new feature, not a bug requiring a fix.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 07, 2019 1
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a horrible feature. It gave me a nosebleed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 31, 2019 1
Explorer ,
Apr 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really?, I am going to try not to sound as frustrated as I am.
I will ditto everyone's comments and add that this is once again a major disruption to workflow! I can't believe changing it in only one place either. There is NO WAY i will be able to retrain my brain to not hold shift. Thanks Adobe.

Adobe has been downgrading the experience with each release since CS6. Every update has moved tools or reversed function that directly affect trained user habits and ingrained behavior.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 09, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. I'm still trying to unlearn the inverted Y axis Illustrator uses.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 25, 2020 1
Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim, my apologies for smiling when I read this. It brings back ancient memories! 😊

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 25, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to actually congratulate Adobe in conversation about how good a job people there have done on maintaning consistency across all creative suite tools over the years - even as they've become so much more complex. It is really starting to fall apart lately. This is such an annoying disruption to workflow to have to research issues like this- arising with a super simple task that every basic user knows how to do- and had been the same for 30yrs.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 13, 2019 1
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IO do not lioke it - Didnt ask for it. After 20 years using PS since v3 why now change it!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 26, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is really handy for those of us who have been using the product since version 1. I can't tell you how nice it is to have someone decide to change something that has become an industry standard in ALL CREATIVE APPS since the 1980s. It just goes to show that millenial developers really do know what is best for all of us. Now it should only take me about ten years to unlearn a lifetime of muscle memory. Really. You know I think the standard copy and paste key commands are really getting stale. You should give them a refresh.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 15, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess this question is answered but I agree with the above - this is really counterintuitive. I can understand if this change was made everywhere but what a WILD RIDE we're on to have to learn it in once specific place.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 16, 2018 2
Participant ,
Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, carolynp. A horrible inconsistent feature. I don't know who thought this one was a good idea... but it isn't!! Definitely a thumbs down from me.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 17, 2018 4
Advisor ,
Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As inconsistent as the GUI of the several applications. Just compare Photoshop and Illustrator, for example the "Close application" button...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 17, 2018 0
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is ridiculous that adobe updated this and didn't even leave an option to go back. People have been using that function for decades. And also my brain doesn't work if I don't hold shift. oh my god!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 15, 2019 3
Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"And also my brain doesn't work if I don't hold shift. oh my god!"

LOL! Tell me about it -
I'm at the point now, there is absolutely no re-training behavior learned in 1999 and used daily. Especially now that I am using sketch and illustrator as daily tools and the all have small simple behavior differences that make it really tricky to be quick and smooth throughout my tasks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 16, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WHY DO YOU HATE ME? You understand it's been 20 years of Photoshop since the first and my ring finger will automatically hit the shift key anyway, right? And now instead of working I'm yelling on a forum trying to figure this out and OH MY GOD WHY WOULD YOU CHANGE THIS ON ME NOW???? Fire whoever decided this. I'm not kidding. They clearly don't understand your users. I can't stand updates anymore. I wait until it's forced on me and then I hold my breath for this jackassery to start.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 23, 2019 4
Explorer ,
May 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree! It's really like WTF??? Heads come to the meeting, hitting the bong and they say: 'today we are gonna change transform from shift to alt but we keep other application as it is!'

And seriously. Ai is different, Ae is different, Ps is different? Why for fack sake they pointlessly change something when no needed?

Not sure if this is kind of conspiracy against user to find out how they will react. Because looks like I'm getting old for changes for something what really works absolutely fine. Imagine gov is going to change traffic directions?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 23, 2019 0
May 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please be nice to us! we volunteer and try to help!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 23, 2019 0