Highlighted

Photoshop is extremely slow with grid active

Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I turn on the grid photoshop becomes extremely slow.

TOPICS
Performance, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Photoshop is extremely slow with grid active

Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I turn on the grid photoshop becomes extremely slow.

TOPICS
Performance, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 31, 2020 3
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We're sorry about the trouble with Photoshop. Would you mind sharing the version of Photoshop you are using along with your computers operating system?

You can try optimizing the preferences for Photoshop using the steps suggested here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/optimize-photoshop-cc-performance.html

Let us know how it goes!

Regards,

Nikunj

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 31, 2020 1
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see the same lag and have seen it repotred here several times.  I do not know if Adobe is addtressing this issue

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 31, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The very latest photoshop version, running on win10.
This is not a performance issue on my side, I have an extremly powerful machine running this stuff, yes, performance settings are set up right, yes I even reset photoshop entirely to test for potential corruptions.
This specific issue also seems to be building, as in, the more I try, the slower things get.

Gotta say, this is one of many, rather serious issues, which seem to be creeping into photoshop lately, starting around v20 or so, not a good experience at all. Please correct this, or lose a client.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 02, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Aug 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First off: No argument with 

»not a good experience at all.«

A couple of the recent Photoshop updates apparently caused issues affecting quite a few Photoshop users indeed … 

But is typing

»The very latest photoshop version«

really more effective than 

»Photoshop 21.2.1«

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 02, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> But is typing

> »The very latest photoshop version«

> really more effective than 

> »Photoshop 21.2.1«

Yes, because it prevents me from having to look up the exact version, knowing I updated to the latest.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 02, 2020 0
Aug 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which make user have to look at what day you posted than find out what version was the latest  on that date.  Time marches on thanks a lot.  If you want help you should post pertinent information.

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 02, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or perhaps don't be passive aggressive towards someone posting issues instead of remaining quiet as they leave for better pastures.
If you want something, you can simply ask in a normal manner.

Throwing around salt will simply make everybody salty.
The software is seriously broken and needs to get fixed, let's focus on that I say.

What I found so far is that using the marquee selection tool with the grid active, will makes things slow down more and more and more very quickly.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 03, 2020 0
Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes there is a performance issue when the gird is displayed.  Other have also reported this.  The ball is in Adobe court all we can do here is hope that Adobe will address this issue soon and help each other out. Tell users to use Ctrl+' is the shortcut to toggle the grid.  Please follow the guide lines.

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 03, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's also been affecting me. I hope the issue would be resolved with an update as I always stay up to date with CC, but I feel like it only got worse.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 16, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does turning off »Use Graphics Processor« in the Performance Preferences (Photoshop > Preferences > Performance > Graphic Processor Settings) and restarting Photoshop have any bearing on the issue? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 16, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here.

I've found out that the only way to solve this problem is to turn off the graphic acceleration altogether, which I obviously don't want to do.

The GPU is NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060

Did someone manage to solve this without turning off the GPU rendering?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 22, 2020 1
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble with Photoshop. Please ensure you are using the latest version of Photoshop (21.2.3).

Have you tried re-installing the graphics card drivers to check if that helps? If not, please try that and let us know if it helps. You can also check: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-gpu-graphics-card.html

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Nikunj

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 28, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Latest drivers, latest photoshop, grid issue remains.
As soon as I turn it on, photoshop slows way down with every move I make, and get's worse and worse. This slowdown will remain even after I hide the grid again, and I have to restart the software.

This is tested on 2 different machines, a laptop, and my desktop, both windows.
One running a 2060  the other a 1080TI, respectively.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 29, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Powerfull machine, always update Photoshop, and same here:

all softwere is from start a bit slown down, since couple last updates, but when I turn on "GRID" - PS is dead, couple seconds of reaction to every action. 

Do something with that, cause i cannot work like this.

[reply edited by moderator]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 12, 2020 1
LEGEND ,
Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»Do something with that«

Who do you think you are addressing here? 

This is a user Forum. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 12, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 12, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also: 

»Powerfull machine, always update Photoshop«

falls short of a meaningful description. 

Please read this (in particular the section titled "Supply pertinent information for quicker answers"):

https://community.adobe.com/t5/Community-Help/Guidelines-Tips-for-the-Adobe-Forums/td-p/4788157

What have you donw for GPU-trouble-shooting? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 12, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I tried, was to install photoshop on two unrelated machines as I stated. Both suffer the same issue.
Hence, either I am very unlucky and both machine, using completely different hardware, years apart, happen to have the same fault. Or the issue lies with Photoshop.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 12, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's almost even more infuriating than the issue itself is the aggressive way some of the community members here respond to people seeking help.

The other thing is reposting the same solution (reinstall Photoshop, update Graphics Drivers, turn off GPU acceleration) which almost everyone in this thread already stated didn't help or wasn't a feasible solution for them. 

Like the others, I'm a paying customer who's very impacted by this problem and it's even more frustrating to see how it's dealt with, since it's obviously an issue with Photoshop if multiple users with different hardware setups suddenly have the problem and never experienced it before.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 12, 2020 1
LEGEND ,
Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»What's almost even more infuriating than the issue itself is the aggressive way some of the community members here respond to people seeking help.«

How many of the affected people have actually provided pertinent information in this thread? 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/Community-Help/Guidelines-Tips-for-the-Adobe-Forums/td-p/4788157

Have you bothered searching the Reports? This one does not have an official response so far but at least it has been registered. 

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/photoshop/photoshop-runs-very-slow-when-grid-is-turned-...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 12, 2020 0
Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I agree there is a performance issue when you have a grid overlay displayed Ctrl+' turns the performance issue off.  Also the grid used in the problem is bogus unneeded  and maximizes the Problem.  The grid use in the problem report is a 10px grid with 10 subdivisions.  Basically a 1px grid the user can snap to.  Zoomed out you will not be able to  see set the 1px subdivision for they will not be able to be displayed.  Its also a bogus grid for its not required for when you zoom in 500% or more Photoshop display its pixel grid you can click on any pixel you want and there is no performance problem with Photoshop pixel grid. 

I believe Adobe created the Grid overlay feature and the Guide layout features to help with you document layout. You should set you grid for your documents print resolution setting like 1" gride with 4  1/4" sub divisions.  It not necessary the create a pixels grid that build into Photoshop.   IMO its  ridiculous to try to outline every pixel with gide lines.  Users often do not undetstand what they are asking Photoshop to do.

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 12, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 15, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 15, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How condecending can you be? Honestly?

I am a AAA game developer with well over 25 years of professional experience using Photoshop, I am quite sure I know what I am doing, nor do I appreciate being told how to use grids. Grids are guide, if I want to use a pixel grid, I can use a pixel grid, I do not use a pixel grid, but there is absolutely no reason for this grid to not allow for a pixel grid size grid.

The issue is simple, recent updates have kneecapped photoshop, these issues never existed before, something changed, and it broke thing.

The grid overlay is one of those issues, and no, setting the grid to very large gridline spacing with no extra divisions does not solve the issue, nor does it make it any better.

When the grid is activated, Photoshop will slow way down. That is a bug, and needs to get fixed. Yet we need detailed information, yes we need to get to the bottom of this issue. We do that by working together, not by acting like a complete ass.

Seriously digusting highly off putting behavior on these boards.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 15, 2020 1
LEGEND ,
Oct 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»Seriously digusting highly off putting behavior on these boards.«

unhek, I think you may want to dial down your tone. 

And as for the issue itself:

This is a user Forum (and the issue cannot be reproduced by all Photoshop users), so if you want to report a Photoshop bug or hope for any official feedback from Adobe personnel you need to post over on 

Photoshop Family

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 15, 2020 0
Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously the issue has been reported to Adobe it has to do with their GPU grid implementation. You have been given way to deal with the issue till Adobe address the issue. Rant on if you makes you feel better but IMO that not an appropriate behavior here its more child like than professional.

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 16, 2020 1
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue, but I noticed if you don't use subdivisions Photoshop behaved slightly better. A gridline every 8px with subdivisions every 1px was laggy as hell, while set to a gridline every 1px with subdivisions set to 1px was more or less bearable.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 30, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm commenting so people know this is a photoshop problem and a serious one. I have read everything, tried everything, I've been using PS for decades, even wrote a book on it, etc... blah blah and 3 grid lines bog my machine down. This needs to get fixed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 05, 2020 0