• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop lag and freezing document until I alt+tab out and back in

Explorer ,
Feb 27, 2019 Feb 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop has been lagging and freezing when I work until I alt tab out and alt tab back into Photoshop, then it resumes the work as usual, this happens a lot and it's really weird that I have to implement this alt+tab strategy in my everyday workflow, not what you'd expect from an industry standard software, it makes my work process harder instead of easier, Photoshop keeps working not with me but agaisnt me.

I've tried:

- Purging cache

- Reinstalling

- Resetting preferences

- Updating drivers

- Updating Photoshop through Creative Cloud

I also have a very good computer, so that shouldn't be the problem, it runs other software just fine, like Zbrush, Keyshot, Octane, Marvelous Designer... etc, which are or should be, way more demanding than Photoshop and PS itself is installed in a SSD.

Side note: It just grows annoying that I have to alt tab countless times everytime I work, I don't recall ever having this issue in older versions of Photoshop during college back between 2013-2016, the program worked fine.

Having worked in Photoshop since 2004, it just alienates me that recent versions work against me and make working more difficult, feels like Photoshop is going backwards in it's evolution and regressing in quality, because there are other strange issues happening but this one is def the most glaring one.

Anyone else having this issue?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see anything like that here. What exact version of your Operating system and what exact version of Photoshop are you using?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be honest, I think I solved it by installing an older version (2017), I see it in the preferences that this one requires way less RAM and does virtually the same thing, Im not really sure of the direction Adobe is going with Photoshop, pushing taxing updates to their software and offering nothing new or ground breaking to back up such heavy updates, but I digress.

Solved it by installing an older and much better overall version.

Note to Adobe: it also got rid of the beyond useless changes they did to Ctrl+Z and Ctrl+Alt+Z, the Lorem Ipsum auto text, the auto blending modes, and the million other ideas they injected on the recent versions that really are not only useless but also badly designed, distracting for the designer's end goal. This is from someone who has been using your software for such long time, it feels like you're changing things up in Photoshop for the sake of changing it, if you have no updates to add, don't add them, don't fix what isn't broken, you're just pushing people to pirate software when the recent versions you have for sale pale in comparison with the older ones there are out there pirated, which are far more stable and don't require Creative Cloud bloatware and misc apps to download.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2019 Mar 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe with PS became terrible company implementing new (even worse) upgrades. Instead doing it betting they do it worse every time. The lag switching (ALT+Tab) between other progs to Adobe's takes at least 2-3 s for program to start working again what is unthinkable. Then: 1 New shortcuts - what for?? 2 The lag. 3 When you install last ACR version all presets are gone ... 4. No present for DJI Mavic 2 Pro for over half a year. ... 5 Beside when you post question or suggestion on forum, Adobe team responds back with knowledge of basic program user, always just defending instead giving a solution. And we must pay for this s**t.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

1. New shortcuts - If you prefer , you can set the shortcuts to what you want to use in the Edit Shortcuts dialogue.
You can also enable the previous transform behaviour following the instructions here :
New and enhanced features | Latest release of Photoshop CC

2. I don't get a lag - but some evidently do. You have given no system info so I can't compare what your system may be doing in comparison to mine.

3. When you install last ACR version all presets are gone. Mine are not but you can load a preset file from your back up files in ACR using Presets > Load settings

4. Only Adobe staff could comment on that - and they do not release info on future upgrades. Have you requested that the camera be supported? Feature requests can be added at the link below.

Photoshop Family Customer Community

5. Interesting comment. The Adobe team only occasionaly post here (you will see the staff badge when they do) . The development team monitor the feedback forum, linked above, for bug reports and feature requests.
This forum is mainly answered by volunteer users who use the products day in , day out and can often help resolve or work around issues while they get resolved.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Adobe Photoshop Version: 20.0.3 20190130.r.57 2019/01/30: 1204598  x64

Number of Launches: 542

Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit

Version: 10 or greater 10.0.17134.556

System architecture: Intel CPU Family:6, Model:15, Stepping:2 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, AVX, AVX2, HyperThreading

Physical processor count: 6

Logical processor count: 12

Processor speed: 3500 MHz

Built-in memory: 65447 MB

Free memory: 34779 MB

Memory available to Photoshop: 59963 MB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the exactly same issue when using stylus pen (version 20.0.7), slow drawing is normal but when I move the pen fast to draw 2 stroke,photoshop may (sometimes) freeze in the second one (if i draw 3 fast stroke in a round, the 3rd one always freeze) until I press alt+tab twice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THe problems were too many to list, what I listed was just the iceberg tip that came out of the top of my head, and the genesis is that if the work process wasn't broken to begin with for 10+ years of Photoshop, why change it? I don't mean to seem rude or rant, I just dont respect people who dont get their own products.

The problem is fixed for me, as I said, I installed a previous PS version that does the same thing as newer versions and uses less ram, at the same time I dont want to dodge a perfectly valid question, so I'll just say, I have 16GB Ram, a  NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1080 and a i8700k processor, which is more than capable to run virtually anything on the market right now at very high specs... everything, but you know, Photoshop apparently.

Thanks for your volunteer work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2019 Mar 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having the same issues as well and it's extremely frustrating, it disrupts my workflow so much and I've been experiencing it on both my PC and laptop (both of which have fairly average/high-ish hardware), so I'm guessing the problem should be on Photoshop's side. The problem exists on both CC 2018 and 2019, but its way worse on CC 2019.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2019 Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installing an older version should fix it, at this point, Adobe updates are just a product and business statement rather than a funcitonal product, so you're better off with an older build, from the times where Photoshop was actually meant to be a work tool.

With new products to mimic design tools that Photoshop provides, emerging everyday, you may want to research a few of those, I'm not sure if Im allowed to post them here, so you can just PM me.

I don't think I'll renew my subscription when it expires either, Adobe has become the shaddiest ever. As an European I need to pay about 60% more than if I was an American costumer, (only to deal with more bugs and frustrations like this) so there's one less incentive to renew, (for those who are curious, because I'm European I should pay the cost of Adobe doing business in Europe, that's where the extra 60% comes from - which I never heard of in any other software package I bought, I own four different 3D software tools and two 2D software tools, none of which charge me because of my geographical location and their own cost of doing business in my country, if it's *your* business, that's your cost to cover. Should I be charged in an extra for Adobe's employees lunch money as well?)

Anyway back on topic, whether you paint or design, I may know some low cost alternatives for you, but installing an older version should fix most of the bugs, it will still be Adobe's Photoshop though, so expect some funkiness, like new wacom drivers not working with older photoshop versions, in case you draw and paint.

Edit: Forgot to stress the most important, I know people who own a pirated version of Photoshop and they don't have these problems, their Photoshop performs better than mine. What's your excuse, Adobe? When your paid, official and authorized application performs worse than a pirated copy?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 03, 2019 May 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: Apparently Adobe raised the prices as of May 2, becuase they've been doing such a stellar job at maintaining their products! </sarcasm> Adobe tests doubling the price of its Lightroom and Photoshop plan - The Verge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2019 Oct 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same bug, this happens much more often on big files.

I am using a multiple monitor setup, 4k center, 1440p side. 

Huion q11k tablet

64gb ram, win10 1903

ryzen 1700

gtx 1070, 430.86

PS Extensions: Coolorus and Brushbox. Coolorus does not cause it, have not tried to disable brushbox yet. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there!  Don't listen to anyone from Adobe that says they've never seen this problem.  I've found posts going back two years. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines