• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop thinks visible layers are hidden?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2019 Apr 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the current version of Photoshop, and I've run into a reoccuring problem that has remained despite me opening and closing the app multiple times, restarting my computer, updating my computer, then opening and reopening it again. (I say this solely to make the point that yes, I have definitely tried "turning it off and back on again.") I was drawing in Photoshop last night when suddenly the layers stopped working. I tried to draw in one and Photoshop insisted that the layer was hidden. Which, of course, resulted in this error message:

Screen Shot 2019-04-26 at 6.58.09 PM.png

So then I decide to do my version of off and on again when it comes to layers, which is make an empty one and then merge the two. This seemed to work. However, the second I selected a different layer and came back to it the same problem happened again. Making the channel visible, invisible then visible again didn't work either. So, I'm starting to think it's something to do with the settings. I mean, I didn't change anything, but having tried pretty much everything else that doesn't involve going into the preferences I don't really know what to do.

When I went to the generic troubleshooting page I found something about resetting tools (and then I found half of my brushes weren't in there, but that's not the problem here) but found that I couldn't do that. I thought up until now that maybe it could be that I wasn't using any of the "registered" brushes, but I just tried one of those, reset it and it didn't work either. So yeah, I've exhausted pretty much all options that I know of.

​Someone please help I just want to draw

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 26, 2019 Apr 26, 2019

The error message makes sense for the screen captures you posted. You have a quickmask channel selected, but the visibility is off on that channel. The “Q” key will exit quick mask and return you to RGB Channels.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post some screen shots of your layer panel and your channel panel, when this happens? It sounds like somehow the channels are getting turned off or on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I thought it might have been the layers/channels too, but I didn't see anything out of the ordinary when I checked.

Screen Shot 2019-04-26 at 7.15.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-26 at 7.15.58 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Somehow you have quick mask selected. That is the backward slash shortcut, I believe. You might have hit that by accident.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's just what my mouse is on. The quick mask itself is off. Just to check I tried drawing on the layer with both modes, nothing changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The error message makes sense for the screen captures you posted. You have a quickmask channel selected, but the visibility is off on that channel. The “Q” key will exit quick mask and return you to RGB Channels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'M SAVED

Thank god it's working now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

morning,

for 2 days im workinf with layer always hide...wondering wht but continu working ;0)

tks for the info, just hit Q abd all ok ;0)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Complete Reply Edited by Moderator.

Something to do whth the Q key this user does not like.

That is the Quick Mask Mode keyboard shortcut. AFAICR it has been that since I started using Ps many years ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean, why do you even... who uses? Secret Agents? I happinly it seems "touched" the Q button and suddenly all my layers went red. Nowhere to find anything. No popup THIS TIME, couldnt do anything... thanks to mr/msr God there is internet. Good job on all 99,9999999999998% except... 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2023 Feb 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you all! I just delt with this same thing and did the same steps before searching the internet for help as the poster!   I'm sure my cat stepped on my keyboard but man what an annoying thing to try to work around!   THANK YOU ! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines