• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop user interface - too big or too small

New Here ,
Sep 12, 2016 Sep 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am new to photoshop. When I first started using the program and trying to follow along with my instructor in an online course, I noticed that everything on my screen was larger - the tool icons, the panels on the right, and especially the layers panel which blocks half of the workspace when it's open. I found some information about changing the user interface and changed it to 100% but that is too small; I can barely read anything on the screen. Auto and 200% are the same and too large. Is there any way to find a happy middle ground? This is very frustrating!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Nov 09, 2016 Nov 09, 2016

When Adobe Creative Cloud upgraded my Photoshop CC to the latest version (2015) I started having issues that the user interface of Photoshop was too big. Simply put, the menus and icons were so big that they were in the way of the Photoshop image canvas and it made it very difficult to work.

Even on a 1920x1080P 22" monitor, I was not able to work in photoshop because the side menus and UI took up the majority of the screeen. This article explains how you can fix the photoshop menus from being so

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not at this time. I and many others have been pressing Adobe to at least come up with a 150% scaling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes add a second low resolution display.  Have Photoshop's window display its UI on your low resolution display and edit you Image on your high resolution display in floating windows.  The only Photoshop UI elements that will be on you High resolution display will be in the floating windows frames. Top document name  and mode rulers and bottom status.  Windows can be set to scale you High resolution to a lower resolution you like  not as low as 200%.  Photoshop is code to have what it display not be scale by windows so it can take advantage of High resolution displays.  Set Photoshop UI to 100%.  Your both displays will be 1X for Photoshop.  Here I use three displays.  Two 100 DPI displays 1600px x 1200px and a 185dpi 3840px x 2156px in the middle.  I tile the windows wallpaper and scale the tiles so the tiles display at the same scale.  The displays physical sizes are close.

How my system displays look

DellT3620Displays.jpg

Screen captures Wallpaper then Photoshop and Bridge. Right click on image and click open link in new tab to see full size

DellT3620.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem here. Illustrator and ID working fine, just Photoshop with problems. Have tried Environmental variables but it mucks up the others that are working correctly.... very frustrating!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When Adobe Creative Cloud upgraded my Photoshop CC to the latest version (2015) I started having issues that the user interface of Photoshop was too big. Simply put, the menus and icons were so big that they were in the way of the Photoshop image canvas and it made it very difficult to work.

Even on a 1920x1080P 22" monitor, I was not able to work in photoshop because the side menus and UI took up the majority of the screeen. This article explains how you can fix the photoshop menus from being so big and in the way.

Within Photoshop CC itself play around with a couple of settings including going to:

1. Edit
  2. Preferences
  3. Interface
  4. Change "UI Scaling" to 100%
  5. Change "UI Font Size" to Medium.
  6. Hit Okay
  7. Close and restart Photoshop CC
  8. Your menus should now be smaller and higher resolution in Photoshop CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 07, 2017 Jun 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is what you posted does not work when you have both Low resolution and high resolution displays on your system.  If you use Photoshop CC UI scaling set 100%.  You will find Photoshop UI is fine on your low resolution displays and too small on your High resolution displays.  Photoshop UI scaling is a Global setting not  a setting you can set per display like you can do with a features like Windows scaling.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2024 Feb 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

JJMack - You are right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2017 Sep 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 08, 2017 Dec 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kikea!

Simple and helpful! That's what I like!

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2018 Feb 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whew! Thank you Kikea! I was having to back up 10' 🙂 to navigate!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

doesn't work. no matter what I do, photoshop is either too small or too big. prefs "UI Font Size" has no effect. its either auto/100% (same thing) or 200% and gigantic to the point of stuff not fitting on screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2019 Aug 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

****IF the UI scaling in preferences doesn't work (like it didn't for me)

you'll have to check your graphics card to see if the driver is up to date.... or in my case I had to actually ROLL BACK the driver to the last one and then all my UI in photoshop and windows 10 looked perfect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2019 Sep 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there - I ran into this issue every dang time I switched from desktop to laptop and was pulling my hair out. 

I searched high and low and came up with this solution which worked like a charm for me..... it literally saved my skin so thought I'd share it with you 🙂 

https://danantonielli.com/adobe-app-scaling-on-high-dpi-displays-fix/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2023 Jul 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me - thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines