• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Window on Mac Keeps Moving Off Screen

Explorer ,
Dec 18, 2014 Dec 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've recently purchased a second monitor (27" Apple Display) for my Macbook Air. Everything is great, except photoshop doesn't want to stay put. When I move it into the screen, it immediately jumps back out of view. I've had some luck with it staying put if I make the window much smaller, but that defeats the purpose of having a giant display. I've tried clearing all settings while launching photoshop, it has had no effect.

I'm using a 2013 Macbook Air 2013 running Yosemite 10.10.2. It's connected to the latest model Apple 27" display via thunderbolt. Photoshop is the only app playing up.

I took a quick video so you can see what's going on.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Dec 18, 2014 Dec 18, 2014

Okay, I have fixed this after some digging. I'm not sure of the implications to this setting, but in Settings > Mission Control > Group Windows by Application then disable that option. That seems to have stopped my monitor from jumping around. Still doesn't ring of a permanent solution though.

Screen Shot 2014-12-19 at 3.33.53 pm.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever set the two monitor arrangement in  Apple menu > System Preferences >  Displays > Arrangement ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did. I'm not sure how they would impact window placement, they're still separate screen/entities right?

Screen Shot 2014-12-19 at 2.28.11 pm.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you drag the left window until the top is level with the top of the right one?

Would that help?

Plan B: Click on the Photoshop app's green button. It might force it full screen on your large monitor.

Another idea is to move the menu bar to the external monitor. that works well for me.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rearranging them might, but isn't really a permanent solution. The reason you arrange the windows like I have is so that when your mouse leaves one monitor, it appears on the other in a predictable place.

Fullscreen does not work, the window still jumps down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On further investigation, window does jump to wherever the top of the left screen is aligned. So if I align them at the top, it doesn't jump anywhere but moving stuff (including the cursor) from one window to another is a nightmare.

Photoshop is still the only program that exhibits this behaviour

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I have fixed this after some digging. I'm not sure of the implications to this setting, but in Settings > Mission Control > Group Windows by Application then disable that option. That seems to have stopped my monitor from jumping around. Still doesn't ring of a permanent solution though.

Screen Shot 2014-12-19 at 3.33.53 pm.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 20, 2014 Dec 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

embersketch wrote:

Rearranging them might, but isn't really a permanent solution. The reason you arrange the windows like I have is so that when your mouse leaves one monitor, it appears on the other in a predictable place.

Fullscreen does not work, the window still jumps down.

I see. My set is a mid-2009 Macbook and a HP 2338h monitor. That one has a HDMI and a VGA port. I've had better luck with the VGA port so I use a mini-dvi to VGA adapter. I don't know what ports your display uses. I'll agree that Photoshop should not be acting like this, but I know you would like this fixed. I keep the menu bar and the dock on the larger screen, and Photoshop acts normally there.

That might help, it should be worth a try. But I'll admit I am venturing an "educated guess" that may not do anything on your configuration. I've not experienced this before. I'm not sure if you have tried turning off the Application Frame. Window menu > Application Frame. You can toggle it off and on and see if it behaves.

I wonder if the Apple forums have any ideas?  Hope you can get this sorted out.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gener7 wrote:

…My set is a mid-2009 Macbook and a HP 2338h monitor…

How's that monitor working for you, Gene?  I'm particularly interested in the color stability as affected by the vertical viewing angle. IOW, viewing while sitting down on a desk chair and someone else viewing it while standing up next to that chair.

Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if it's how I got it setup, but it seems if I'm sitting 3 feet away, and then I stand, It washes out. If I stand six feet away it looks better. I got this at Staples years ago as well. I picked it because it was the best they had at the time for $250.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vertical viewing angle seems to be the Achilles heel of non-CRT monitors until you get to the very top end monitors in the thousands of dollars.

Yes, the price is very attractive.  Amazon has a a new one for just $200 right now, only 1 left.

I'm keeping my eyes open for something inexpensive like that to use as a third monitor in place of an ancient Sony 10" that I also use as a 3rd monitor when I need one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would think even at that price point, monitors would have gotten better with viewing angles. The best way is to find a place that displays the monitors they sell. Fry's is one such place, and I think they have a Roseville location since I recall you had some photo prints done there.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, I've never had prints made at Fry's, I didn't even know that they have that service here.  Buy I sometimes do shop at Fry's, things like ink cartridges, cables, etc.

Good memory remembering Roseville in connection with my prints; I have the smaller ones like 5x7 printed at one of the Costco's here.  You just can't beat their prices, quality is very good and the service excellent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2014 Dec 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My ambiguous bad. "There" was supposed to refer to prints done somewhere in Roseville, not Fry's. Anyway there is a Costco in Richmond not far from from me.

Anyway if you go for that HP monitor from Amazon, bring an extra chair if you need a guest to see what you see.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're near Richmond?  I go to my oldest daughter's home in Alameda to spend time with her several times a year. She likes to take her two small dogs and me to the dog park by the water's edge near the start of the Richmond Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if that's Point Isabel, one of the largest off leash dog parks there. That where the Costco is.

Me? I'm actually in Berkeley, but I spend most of my time between its downtown and San Francisco via BART.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Point Isabel it is.  Now that you mention t, I see that Costco everytime we go to the dog park.

My daughter works in the Financial District.  When I'm staying with her, I drive her to work in the morning and pick her up in the afternoon. It's a lovely drive from and to Alameda.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

embersketch wrote:

I'm not sure how they would impact window placement, they're still separate screen/entities right?

Screen Shot 2014-12-19 at 2.28.11 pm.png

Er… no.

Don't have time to explain, but they do function as one large display, one being an extension of the other one.  The mouse travels freely, smoothly from the left end of the main monitor to the right end of the secondary one without skipping a pixel.  Single entity.

Your arrangement is most unorthodox, to say the least.

Here's my dual-monitor arrangement as an example:

Screen Shot 2014-12-18 at 11.27.24 PM.png

…and here is my three-screen-arrangement in Photoshop when I plug-in yet a third monitor:

PhotoshopScreenSnapz001.jpg

Command click on above thumbnail to open full-size image in a new window, where you can click with the cursor (which will look like a magnifying glass with a plus sign in the center), then you see the image at 100% and you can scroll sideways across all 3,840 pixels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The whole reason the display arrangement window exists is so I can place my screens to reflect their physical locations. By arranging them as I have, it means that when my mouse leaves the top right hand corner of my laptop screen, it appears a few inches from the bottom of my larger screen. It would be hard to track your cursor if it moved a 8 inches when it changed displays. That's why that screen arrangement setting exists, I'm using it exactly as it was intended.

IMG_7245.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 19, 2014 Dec 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ouch!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand either—how you can remotely, honestly , in good conscience state that "That's why that screen arrangement setting exists, I'm using it exactly as it was intended".

Intended by whom? Just where do you think "that screen arrangement setting exists"?  there's no such a thing as "monitor arrangements" that are offered as sort of presets.  Only what the individual user creates for himself

Additionally the mere sight of that work station in the image hurt my eyes and my sensitivity, therefore "Ouch!".  That was a spontaneous utterance and it represents only my personal opinion and nothing else.

There was a time a couple of years ago when I was forced to work on a laptop (Mac Book) and a second monitor, but I also added a separate keyboard so the the two screens were at a proper position relative to each other so that physically they also looked as extensions of each other, without the horrific head movements I'd be making continuously if I were working in front of your setup.  Another reason to say "Ouch!",

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having a rough day? Don't fret, it will pass. I don't think it's a huge leap to assume that the 'screen arrangement' setting exists to help me... arrange my screens. You're suggesting I should  keep the tops of the windows aligned for compatibility. If that was the case, they wouldn't have gone out of their way to code the functionality so I could adjust them vertically, right? And it works perfectly and always has, with every application, up until the latest Photoshop CC update. That's why I'm on the Adobe forums, not the Apple forums.

Intended by whom?

The programmers who developed the OS.

Just where do you think that screen arrangement setting exists?

Well, the interface for the setting is in the Display section. The GPU will process any adjustment to the screen locations that I make, and it's doing it almost perfectly. Photoshop seems to be getting confused when calculating it's window position. Perhaps it's pulling the outer X coordinate from the wrong screen? I'm not sure how familiar you are with stream processing and GLI / Crossfire when it comes to screen rendering, but it wouldn't affect this case. The window moving position must be a Photoshop issue as far as I can tell.

spontaneous utterance

Typing is hardly a spontaneous utterance is it though? No need to patronise if you don't like my set up, but it's working for me and my budget at the moment. $2000 laptop, $1200 screen, I don't think I'm cheaping out when it comes to my casual needs. Most of the time it's just me with the laptop out in my client's offices, I'm a consultant.

There's not much in the way of horrific head movements to be honest, I use the smaller screen as a preview of my coding, on the larger monitor either for field notes or the actual code itself.

You seem to be slightly annoyed somehow, and I really only have time to revisit this thread if someone has a solution. Have a great day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm positive this is my first thread on these forums, and I don't think I've ever posted here before. I don't know how to check. So yes, I am new here, and probably won't come back here again.

I couldn't care less about how you use your computers and I didn't ask you about it.  You could have saved you all the verbiage in your last post in its entirety.  Who cares?

There was a time a couple of years ago when I was forced to work on a laptop (Mac Book) and a second monitor, but I also added a separate keyboard so the the two screens were at a proper position relative to each other so that physically they also looked as extensions of each other, without the horrific head movements I'd be making continuously if I were working in front of your setup.

I know everyone here is a volunteer, which is why I've convinced myself to be polite. You, on the other hand, have directly called me passive aggressive and insolent, and indirectly called me dishonest, aggressive, demanding, accusatory and in bad conscience.

Don't worry, I'm not taking this personally. I've had a look through some of your other comments, and I can see that you are generally snarky with everyone (if you're keeping score, that's the first insult I've used). I'm going to leave now, I'll respond to thank anyone who comes up with a good solution or comment.

Might I suggest finding a hobby, perhaps gardening or knitting? Something a bit more constructive than picking fights with people over the internet. I hear many retirement homes provide a great sense of community and purpose. Have a lovely weekend little buddy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for providing me with an opportunity to expose your obtuseness once again, embersketch.

The mouse jumps to an unpredictable spot when you go to a different monitor because in your arrangement the tops of the two screens do not line up.  Try aligning the top of your second screen with the bottom of the menu bar in the first one.

You should then see the mouse cursor move steadily and smoothly in a straight line as it traverses both screens horizontally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines