Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PS files save with AI icon

New Here ,
Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi eveyone,

I noticed a couple of weeks ago my Photoshop files started saving with AI icons.

Today I realized this is possibly because Adobe auto updated my PS and AI apps to 2020 on Nov. 13, 2019.

I have selected "Open with Photoshop" and Change All so that future files use PS, however the icons are still an issue. It is a pain to have to copy and paste an icon to every file. I am using Macbook Pro OS X Mojave 10.14.6 with PS 19.1.9. I am looking for a global solution if possible or at least a solution that will save files with the correct icon in the future for both PS and AI.

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019

Hi Kat,

Both files have a .pdf extension, so that is what is triggering it. Typically when your computer sees .pdf, it will try to open the file in Acrobat, or if it can’t find Acrobat, it will open it in Illustrator.

When you save your PS files, can you check to see if you are selecting .pdf or .psd as the file format? And is it what you intended? If you are selecting .psd for the format and PS is using .pdf as the extension, try changing the extension and see if that works.

I can see in yo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kat,

What does it say in the Get Info window when you right-click at PS file (with an AI icon) in the Finder and Cmd+I? Can you post a screen shot?

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 1.38.40 PM.png

Hi Jane,

Here is one of the files that has this issue. I had already updated "Open with" on it.

Another image is using the Acrobat reader icon in the file menu and the AI icon in Get Info menu.

Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 1.41.45 PM.png

Thanks, Kat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kat,

Both files have a .pdf extension, so that is what is triggering it. Typically when your computer sees .pdf, it will try to open the file in Acrobat, or if it can’t find Acrobat, it will open it in Illustrator.

When you save your PS files, can you check to see if you are selecting .pdf or .psd as the file format? And is it what you intended? If you are selecting .psd for the format and PS is using .pdf as the extension, try changing the extension and see if that works.

I can see in your screen shot that you are using 21.0.1.

Please report back what you find.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2019 Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane,

All my pdf's have acrobat icons now. I think the Change all setting worked and they are saving with the correct icons now. I was mainly concerned that .pdf's were saving with .ai icons and that seems to be cleared up.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 21, 2019 Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Kat, I'm glad it's working for you now.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines