• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: No image preview on Open dialog box on Windows

LEGEND ,
May 22, 2012 May 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The preview window in the "Open" dialog box on Windows is gone in Photoshop. So if I click on a PSD file (once) to preview it, there isn't one. I have to completely open the file or go digging for it in Bridge. This is a very fundamental feature that needs to return, especially for those of us that have hundreds of files to dig through. PLEASE fix this.

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 680 Replies 680
680 Comments
Participant ,
Jan 22, 2016 Jan 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am pretty disappointed that CS6 is no longer supported in any capacity. A LOT of companies still use this version, particularly larger companies that take longer to move to a new version - and even moreso if that new version can only be used on subscription. That seems like an odd decision - I know the reasoning behind it, you don't want to maintain a bunch of different versions. I would understand ditching CS5 and previous, but CS6 is still in such heavy use by corporations and more conservative designers I would expect it, as the last non-subscription option, to be supported still. Regardless, this is still an issue in CC, which I have the latest version of. That Welcome / Start screen is a crappy hack of a response. I would rather buggy codecs than that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2016 Feb 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks,

On my old system, when I opened Windows Explorer / File Manager, I had the option to see PSD & PDF thumbnails. 

On my new system, all I see are generic icons.  See screenshot.  I have 1,000s of PSDs so converting them all to TIFFs is not a solution.  Is there a reliable 3rd party handler for displaying thumbnails on Win 10? 

I use Bridge for perusing through raw files on other drives but it's slow at indexing large collections.  So I prefer not to use if for this.

thanks,

Nancy O.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please refer: Viewing PSD thumbnails...

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Feb 23, 2016 Feb 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Gene.  I'm downloading FastPictureViewer right now...

UPDATE MARCH 2022:

I switched to SageThumbs shell extension.  It works well with Windows 10 file Explorer.

https://www.cherubicsoft.com/en/projects/sagethumbs/

I also use Adobe Bridge for viewing image thumbnails.

https://www.adobe.com/products/bridge.html

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Mar 12, 2016 Mar 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's very awkward that there is no way to preview PSD files, or
AI files for that matter, in windows folders or at least in the open dialog. I am aware that there is bridge, but I am sorry to say that I am not using it. I might have to look into it again if that really is the only way to preview files in the open dialogs.

But I think this is something that needs to be implemented, or better said, re-implemented as it used to be there. At least in the open dialog...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Mar 12, 2016 Mar 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree and if Nikon can develop a codec to display NEF files I am sure that Adobe could develop a similar codec to display both PSD and PSB files. Taking this approach Adobe decouples them selves from O/S reliance. All that would be needed would be to maintain the code to ensure future OS compatibility.  Maybe submit as a feature request?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 17, 2016 Apr 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is as everyone has so stated, MOST ANNOYING! This feature has been apart of photoshop since the inception of the program. Get it DONE, and do it FAST!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 17, 2016 Apr 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the Fast Picture Viewer codec pack for Windows that is able to show embedded previews from various documents, including Photoshop, and it works in the PS  File / Open dialog.  I've used it since XP and it is still working with Windows 10:

http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/codecs/

You don't need the viewer, just the codec pack, for $10-$15.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 06, 2016 Jul 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

for once Google can't help me 100%.

I'd really like to see .psd (and other adobe files) as thumbnails previews directly in Windows 10, so I don't need to open Bridge or Photoshop itself to browse my pictures.

As far as I can understand, there's no way to do this in Windows itself and you need to install some thirdparty software.

Does anybody know

1) a workaround to make Windows 10 show a preview psd thumbnail

2) or know a SAFE (no malware, virus) extension to use so thumbnails are shown directly in Windows?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jul 06, 2016 Jul 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Install FastPictureViewer Codec Package it cost around $15.

Capture.jpg

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 21, 2016 Oct 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

does anybody know how to get the PSD-icon back on my fastpictureviewer-thumbnail?

InD/AI are shown with the pecular icon on it. so i can distinguish the jpgs from the original InD/Ai-file.

Doesn't work anymore with PSDs... what makes it complicated, as i always need to look up which file is which format.

annoying!

The file in the "blue box" should be tagged as PS, but is not < _<

2016-10-21 09_35_41-Thumbnails psd windows 10 _Adobe Community.jpg

Thanks for any help

Merken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First in your File Handling Preferences, make sure Maximize PSD and PSB File Compatibility is set to "Always".

Then open that Blank file in Photoshop and make a non-destructive change, like turning off and on the visibility of a Layer.

Then save the file and it should create a Thumbnail with a picture.

Screen Shot 2016-04-04 at 3.31.11 PM.png

See of that corrects the problem.

I had  a file with a blank thumbnail and it needed that setting which generates a composite thumbnail for the codec to "see".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also have your PDF thumbnails in the latest Acrobat DC

Enable thumbnail preview of PDFs in Windows Explorer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find the when I install a new Windows 10 preview build I loose FastPictureViewer Codec Pack PSD Thumbnails.  I then use Windows control panel use Programs and features to uninstall the codec pack reboot install the codec pack and  PSD thumbnails show again.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oha! thanks for the quick replies.

the thumbnails for psd were shown already but i couldn't destinguish them from the "fast-previwe-jpgs" as there is no PS-icon on the thumbnail (compared to Ai or Id, there's an Icon. see screenshot below).

solved that problem by "show file-ending" in explorer. now i can at least read the file-format in the file-name, which is less sleek than the PS-icon hovering over the thumbnail but it at least... works.

so i guess no one knows how to get back the PS-Icon? it was shown once. i'm sure about that.

2016-10-21 14_20_59-LIFE BOMB.jpg

thanks anyway! i got the pdf-thumbnails now =}

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 07, 2016 Dec 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, just so I'm clear, after spending hundreds on this, Adobe wishes me to spend money elsewhere to make it possible to do something they should be able to accomplish natively?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 07, 2016 Dec 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sagethumbs is free and you can download it from Sourceforge so it is CC.  It really works well.  Once it is installed, it will appear in you Control Panel and you just have to allocate enough memory for it to view PSDs.

I agree that Adobe has led us down many products that are discontinued or was replaced by something else.

Here is the link to Sourceforge and Sagethumbs.. I hope it helps.

SageThumbs download | SourceForge.net

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2017 Mar 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ya but to bad it costs money & you seem to be selling it. Do you have any advice or suggestions on something we can do or use to view the thumbnails that's...oh i dunno... free & doesnt cost us anything?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Mar 15, 2017 Mar 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For your information, Noel Carboni is a much valued contributor to these forums and is no more than a satisfied customer when recommending software.

Forum members may recommend paid software in response to a need that Adobe does not supply.

Citation given:

Guidelines & Tips for the Adobe Forums

Self-promotion & Third Party services (addendum to Terms of Use 5.2 L)

• The community forums do not allow posts, screen names, or private messages that include spam or advertisements. However, services or products (free or paid) that meet a need can be promoted in replies to questions, if and only if they are legitimate solutions to the customer's question. When directing customers to these services or products, you must be explicit if they are free or paid. Promotions will be considered as spam if they are not directly related with the original question.*

Anyway for your free needs, that has already been answered.

See post 19.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
May 08, 2017 May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When is it going to happen? Don't say it's a Microsoft issue either. FastPictureViewer can do it just fine for $15. Why can't you? Other apps do it for free! What's stopping you exactly?

Every other app out there can generate thumbnails in Explorer, including 3D apps like Cinema 4D. What's holding Photoshop up for so long? What special draconian measures have Microsoft taken to specifically deny PSD thumbnails from soiling their OS, and no other app?

Acrobat DC does it out of the box now:

Untitled.png

Where is that option for Creative Cloud that says: Enable thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer for all CC apps? When is it going to come?

When is Photoshop going to do it? If I sound frustrated, it's because I am. It's been years now of this nonsense. Using Bridge is not an acceptable alternative. I have no use for that bloatware. Don't say submit a feature request either. That's been done multiple times with no result.

There is no excuse any more. Just get it done for heaven's sake!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So use Acrobat DC if you do not want to use other codec packages.  Adobe removed that type of support from Photoshop years ago when Adobe started to use Operating system File System Dialog s  not Adobe's own dialog s by default.    Windows does not display thumbnails for all image file type.   I forget what version of Photoshop had that support. You would not want to use it if it could still be installed.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or just use Bridge when you want to look through psd files

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 18, 2017 Jun 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My photoshop files (PSD) do not show an image preview / thumbnail in Windows File Explorer, as do JPG and other image files. I see an option when saving to save a thumbnail, but this does not show up in Windows File Explorer. (Windows 10, Surface Studio)

How do I get PSD image thumbnails / previews for Windows Explorer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 18, 2017 Jun 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basically since Windows does not support PSD thumbnails, a third party codec is needed:

Paid: FastPictureViewer Codec Pack: PSD, CR2, NEF, DNG RAW codecs (and more) for Windows 8.x Desktop, Wind...

Free: SageThumbs download | SourceForge.net

Votes

Translate

Translate