• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Quick Selection Tool won't deselect

New Here ,
Nov 23, 2010 Nov 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't seem to deselect an area that mistakenly was selected. I pressed the Alt key but it won't deselect the area. Am I not doing something I should? Also where can I find some tutorials on using the Quick Selection tool. I am using CS5.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you've just selected something, and it's not what you wanted, you can use Ctrl-Z to step back one step in the History (i.e., to before the selection was made), then try again with a different Tolerance setting or by clicking on a different point.

With the Quick Selection tool current, make sure you review the settings at the top of the Photoshop main window.  They affect how the tool will work:  A smaller Tolerance value will select fewer pixels, Anti-alias makes edges smoother, Contiguous will only select one block of contiguous pixels (vs. selecting similar pixels all over the image), and Sample All Layers will allow you to select based on what you see in the composite multi-layer document vs. just what's on a particular layer.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In his CS5 book, Martin Evening teaches what he calls a “double-Q” trick. The quick selection tool learns what to select when you paint and what not to select when you alt-paint (can be option-paint on the Mac). After using the quick selection tool for a while, the learning can be so strong that it will be next to impossible to deselect a portion of the selection . But changing to quick mask mode (Q) and back (another Q) clears the learning memory of the quick selection tool, while keeping the selection made so far. Then it will be far easier to deselect what has been selected previously.

Best regards,

Antero

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Quick Selection tool is a combination of a brush and the selection tools so just clicking outside the selection won't deselect, whether you hold down Alt or not. If you want to deselect then press Ctrl+D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 24, 2010 Nov 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, since the headline said "Quick Selection Tool won't deselect", I assumed the OP had problems with partial-area deselection of the Quick Selection Tool, that is, the tool selected too much and some (but not all) of the selection had to be de-selected.

Antero

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Antero52, thank you for your advice. You were correct in assuming that my question concerned partial deselection. I will also try your suggestion of clearing the quick selection tool using the Quick Mask Mode; and also bringing my attention to Martin Evening's book. Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hit Crtl Z to un do it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines