• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Could not save as ... because the file is already in use or was left open by another application."

Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2017 Dec 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help!!

This bug is causing me no end of stress. I am currently undertaking a digitisation project, scanning things directly into Photoshop and then saving them.

Every time I go to save a newly scanned image, it comes up with this error. "Could not save as ... because the file is already in use or was left open by another application." It is not possible that it could be open or in use as it was only created seconds before and hasn't yet been saved.

My current tactic is to repeatedly attempt to save until it finally lets me, but this is sometimes after 6-10 attempts. I have no other programs open apart from Photoshop. The only thing I can think of is that it has something to do with saving onto a mapped network drive.

If someone has a solution to this I'd be very grateful, as I'm going slightly insane. I've read a few other threads like this but none have offered a solution to my specific scenario.

I have had this problem in CS4 and CS6 on a Windows 10 PC.

Thanks,

Sarah

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Dec 12, 2017 Dec 12, 2017

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 11, 2017 Dec 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sarah,

As you're not able to save the file, please try restarting the computer then try saving the file & let us know if it works.

Regards,

Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sahil,

I have restarted and problem still occurrs. I think it is a network issue however as when I save locally it doesn't happen. Any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks,

Sarah

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I think it must be network. Solution/workaround is to save onto local disk and transfer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 08, 2019 May 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with Photoshop 6--and it began after I installed MacOS Mojave.

Restarting does nothing, and no network issues are involved: everything is on my local iMac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 20, 2019 May 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’ve also the same problem with Photoshop CS6 on Mojave (MAC), the solution is to save on an external HD or on a USB key but is not so useful. Anybody have ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do you use Illustrator, but sometimes is necessary to edit a file that has been submitted by a customer to place IN Illustrator.  It sill doesn't work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2022 Aug 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mojave is the issue! Sometimes after 6 or 7 attempts, I can save under a wild name, other times I have to restart my computer. Then there are times when it works fine. Apple's fault! Or ours for continuing to update the OS. Some graphic artists I know have a dedicated computer just for the CS6 Suite, and they don't ever need to update and everything works fine. Unfortunately, I don't have the space in my office for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2023 May 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Getting the same issue again and tried a different tactic: I Force Quit (Option+Command+esc keys) the Finder. Saved the file on the next attempt. Unfortunately, I have to stay with Mojave to use InDesign CS6 for a longtime client.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 19, 2023 May 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have found recently, than instead of choosing save, click the x to close the doc and it will ask if you want to save it  say yes and it will. But, it will only work time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 01, 2020 Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is STILL a bug.  I'm tired of workarounds, I have to close and lose my work and then try again.  Please fix this Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been using PS since 1990, now CS5 on my iMac w Mohave. Started getting this message a month ago:

"Could not save as “File.psd” because the file is already in use or was left open by another application."

No network, no other programs open, e-thing just as it has been, for 30 years. I have found no answer yet, but I have my suspicions, which may be to try & force me into a stupid subscription?

As a workaround I do what I need then just copy to Illustrator, I got no time for this BS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE/SOLVED: I found another post/thread and it appears this issue is due to my drives being formatted in the AFPS format (posted by geoffreym37701417). So I could leave my boot drive as AFPS then reformat my files & bu drives as Mac OS Extended, and that should do the trick. In the meantime I can save to/work from a thumb drive, which I just did with success. Of course there is now the issue of any further Mac updates past Mohave rendering CS5 obsolete. FYI: There is a YouTuber photog (JCristina) that did an in-depth series "Cutting the cord from Adobe," reviewing programs that can work in place of CS, BUT MAN, I've been using AI since 1988 and PS since 1990, so this old dog might just have to subscribe at some point after all   : (

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines