Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Replacing image on background layer with another image

New Here ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Photoshop forum,

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can give. I have a template for a 5x7 greeting card with gridelines for pasting a picture onto the card for printing. There is already an image on the template. How can I replace the image with my own? It is all in the same layer (background layer). I tried to select and delete the image but it takes away the white background of the template.

I am sure there is an easy way to do this but I can't seem to figure out how.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»It is all in the same layer (background layer).«

That is not a meaningful way to set up a template in my opinion, my advice: 

• Smart Objects 

• Smart Objects 

• Smart Objects 

Could you please post a screenshot with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Channels, Options Bar, …) visible? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response - I did not sent up the template, it was made by the card printing company and they instructed me to replace the image.

Here is the screenshot:

Screenshot 2020-09-02 at 11.23.40 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Put the image(s) above the backgrond layer in the apporate areas its not hard to do. Here Is a Tenplate for example.

image.png

See it being populated

How it looks in Photoshop

image.png

Free Photo Collage Toolkit 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need a screen shot including your layers to see what is happening. The grid should be on it's own layer. You should be able to simply add your image as a new layer and put it under or over in your template. 

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Online Courses Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2020-09-02 at 10.06.51 AM.pngThanks for answering -  I am a beginner at photoshop. The template was created by the card printing company and I want to replace the sunflower picture.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With selection active go to File > Place Embedded. Navigate to image you want to use and double click on it. Photoshop will place image and it will be scaled and centered based on selection. Image will be in free transform mode, hold down Alt and drag corner handle to scale down image until it match current image dimensions. Lastly confirm on Enter and your image will be on separate layer, you can flatten image from Layer menu what will discard additional layer with your image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a template like yours you would need to use Portrait Aspect Ratio Replacement images. Lanfscape image will not composite well the composition will not look good.

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A Layer Style can be added to image layer to frame it and the image  file name added to the card and the text layer styled.

image.png

Let Photoshop do the work use a script.... Drink wine while Photoshop grinds out your cards.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your "grid" are just guides. They aren't part of any layers. You can simply add a new layer on top of the image to "replace" it. You don't have to do anything fancy. You can literally drag and drop another image onto this image in Photoshop and it will sit on top. Once you have your new layer, transform so it's the right size. 

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Online Courses Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A script can do the place image top  resize to fill the ares  mask the confine the image to the card image area and save the cards hundreads of times while you drink your wine. Enjoy Life.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines