• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Resolving Layer via Copy or Layer via Cut - Grayed Out

New Here ,
Feb 24, 2012 Feb 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are many times you will "place" a picture file inside your photoshop document, and want to resize it, put it in a different layer, or crop the image inside photoshop - but you may find a simple error message or grayed out layer via copy/cut prevents you from doing so.

To do this, you will most often do this one of three ways:

1) Select the Marquee tool and outline the area of the image you want to copy or cut

2) Go to Layer > New > Layer via Cut/Copy

3) Click Ctrl+J

Many times, you will find none of these selections work. All options will be greyed out. You may be tempted to create a new layer, and then use one of these options in the new layer. In this case, you will get the error message "Could not make a new layer from the selection because the selected area is empty."  All these errors are a result of photoshop not identifying pixels that you are trying to cut/copy.

There is a simple solution to this problem.  Go over to the "Layers" box, and click on the layer listing for the layer where your newly placed image resides. Make sure your image is the only item in this layer, if not relocate the image into a new layer by itself.  Right-click on the layer where your photo is located in the "layers" box and click on "Rasterize Layer".

Once you do this you will now be able to follow one of the steps above to Layer Via Copy or Layer Via Cut.

Good luck.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you will get the error message "Could not make a new layer from the selection because the selected area is empty." All these errors are a result of photoshop not identifying pixels that you are trying to cut/copy.

I would say they are the result of the active Layer not being a pixel layer or being empty in the selected region, judging from the remedy you describe.

And what you seem to call »box« goes by the name of »Panel«.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would agree with your post c.pfaffenbichler - "Panel" - knew it was something other than box - I am a total amateur so finding this simple solution where no one could figure it out elsewhere seemed worth posting since it took all morning to figure it out.

Placing a picture in a layer - you would think creates a pixel layer - but apparently that is not always the case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 25, 2012 Feb 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pasting or Placing pixel content creates a new Layer.

You might want to check out the Move Tool’s Auto-Select if you want to quickly select a Layer by clicking on its content or ctrl-clicking with the Move Tool to get a list of Layers which have content at that spot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 25, 2012 Feb 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you aware of the Edit - Copy Merged function?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2018 Jan 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Convert it to a smart object and rasterize it again, that worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2018 Aug 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2020 Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had this same problem, but none of these solutions helped. Then I found out that I was editing in Quick Mask Mode.
When I turned it off (Select -> Edit in Quick Mask Mode -> uncheck) I was able to create layer via copy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2022 Feb 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Worked for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

IT WORKED!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines