Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Safe Way to Create a .ico file?

Enthusiast ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys

I want to create some custom icons for Win10 folders. I don't want to export to a web converter or install a plug-in unless there's an officially approved version.

I understand I can create a png file and either use that direct or change the extension to '.ico' and that will do the trick. Is that just wishful thinking or is it a realistic option? If so, can anyone give me a hint on file size, please?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 30, 2023 Apr 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Changing the extension from PNG to ICO does appear to work for using as a favicon for a website.

If you want a custom folder icon for Windows (I don't use mac, so I cannot speak to that) you can do this:

(note that it will NOT have a transparent background)

• Create the graphic
  • If created in Illustrator, bring it into Photoshop
  • Save the Photoshop file as a BMP
  • Change the file extension to ICO

If a "free" website can do it, why can't one Adobe developer knock out this simple quality-of-life option on a coffee break?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines