Highlighted

Saving a PS TIFF image to find colour greatly desaturated

Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, this is my first post, coming from a non tech savvy photographer.

For months now if I save an image as a TIFF file my images are completely desaturated.  I have found a way to get around this I believe with opening in LR, working in ps and saving as tiff back to LR, and the colors retain when I export from LR in JPG.  If I export in TIFF format the color is again desaturated...

Can someone please help me return the settings that have changed in my PS?

Any layman termed advice would be greatly appreciated. 😉

TOPICS
How to, Import and export, Performance, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Saving a PS TIFF image to find colour greatly desaturated

Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, this is my first post, coming from a non tech savvy photographer.

For months now if I save an image as a TIFF file my images are completely desaturated.  I have found a way to get around this I believe with opening in LR, working in ps and saving as tiff back to LR, and the colors retain when I export from LR in JPG.  If I export in TIFF format the color is again desaturated...

Can someone please help me return the settings that have changed in my PS?

Any layman termed advice would be greatly appreciated. 😉

TOPICS
How to, Import and export, Performance, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 17, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are Photoshop’s Edit > Color Settings? 

Do you embed the profile when saving the tiffs? 

Which application/s do you use to view the images other than Photoshop? Are they color-managed?

Please set the Status Bar to »Document Profile« and post meaningful screenshots of the images open in Photoshop. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 17, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a screenshot of my color settings. PS and LR are my main viewers other than  a quick peek at times on my computer's OPEN WITH - PHOTOS option if that means anything to you?Screenshot (23).png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 17, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And THANK YOU for responding so quickly! 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 17, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just realized this is my 2nd post the first was the same issue months ago and I could never seem to resolve it. 😕 So frustrating when I can't overcome this crutch in my editing. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 17, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds like a ProPhoto file viewed without color management.

The Lightroom default for Edit in Photoshop is ProPhoto. That profile will override the Photoshop color settings - as all embedded profiles will and should.

If you're going to use these files anywhere where color management is uncertain or missing - like most consumer-oriented photo viewers - they need to be sRGB. You can either convert to sRGB in Photoshop, or change Lightroom preferences from ProPhoto to sRGB.

Personally I think the choice of ProPhoto as Lightroom default color space is the worst possible they could have made, and this is the reason. Beginners can't really be expected to know this. Defaults are supposed to be safe settings for beginners, and currently they are not. Advanced users who need ProPhoto will know where to find it without the "help" of a default setting.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 17, 2020 2
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you  D Fosse for the reply. 🙂 I REALLY want to change this.  I think it would make my editing process and sending out images without that dreaded fear of them posting to social media to find my images greatly different from what I intended the outcome to be. Is it possible to see an image of the way I am supposed to change it that I could follow step by step?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 17, 2020 0
Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open Lightroom Edit > Preferences from the menu. In the "external editing" tab, change it from ProPhoto to sRGB. Just ignore the comments on the right, they are grossly misleading:

lrprefs.png

In Photoshop, you can convert to sRGB from Edit > Convert to Profile. But that's not necessary if it already comes out of Lightroom as sRGB. As I said, that profile will override the PS color settings.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 17, 2020 2
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok THANK YOU! So, here is what I have now. Is this ok?

Screenshot (42).pngScreenshot (44).png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 17, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never touched the bottom one yet

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 17, 2020 0
Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you should be good to go with those Lightroom preferences (although I prefer PSD and no compression, but that's just me). Now your files will open in Photoshop as sRGB, and even in applications without color management they should display roughly correctly. It will never be entirely accurate without color management, but it should be close enough.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 17, 2020 2
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh YAY!  Thank you for all the help! They look like normal again! My life will be sooo much easier not having to sweat everytime I wait to see what pops up after posting! 😄 As for Color managing, thats another thing I need to learn but one hilltop at a time! lol Thanks again! 😄

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 20, 2020 0