• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saving changes dialog

Contributor ,
Aug 09, 2020 Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I stop this? I open a photo from Lightroom into Photoshop, but then decide not to make any changes whatsoever, changed my mind. Why does PS always ask me if I want to save changes when I didn't make any? Drives me batty. How can I skip this dialog box that is wasting my time?

2020-08-09_10-23-30.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 09, 2020 Aug 09, 2020

Hi Shayb,

I think you're stuck with that behavior, because from Photoshop's point of view, there are unsaved changes (a new, unsaved image has been created). If you "Edit original" from Lightroom (if you had already had a jpg or tiff or psd) then you could exit PS without having to save. It's only when PS has a new unsaved file (as evidenced by the "*" character next to the file name in the window's tab) that you have to say "yes, I'm sure."

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you added any Photoshop add ons?  Does anthing added to photoshop run when anything is open into Photoshop. I have so I expect that message may happen when I process images. Some add ons make changes.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the specifics of your workflow? Are you editing RAW files in Lightroom? Photoshop doesn't directly edit RAW files. Also, Photoshop can obviously apply a whole range of edits that aren't supported within Lightroom. Therefore, it makes sense that a file format like PSD or TIFF would need to be created just to bring an image from Lightroom into Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, RAW files. I understand that PS does not directly edit RAW. It creates a tiff and sends that tiff to PS. All of that makes sense. But if I don't make any changes to said tiff, the programs should be smart enough to figure that out automatically without asking me to go through another step. And my question is, can I turn off this function of asking me if it should save or not.?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you use "Edit in Photoshop" from Lightroom, Lightroom will render the image with any adjustments you may have made, and it renders as a TIFF or PSD depending on the settings you made in Lightroom. This temporary file is passed over to Photoshop for editing. When you close out of PS and save changes, the updated file comes back to Lightroom as a new file, and gets automatically added to the catalog (and typically stacked with the original). If you choose not to save changes, the temporarily created new file is then discarded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, agree and understand...and this is exactly my point. That temp tiff file should be automatically discarded without prompting. If there are no changes made, then there is nothing to save, and therefore I should not be getting a dialog box asking me if I want to save "nothing".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create an action (Close No Save)  set a F key shortcut for it use it instead of close or X ing out of the  document.   It does not make sense to save Layered Document if your a Lightroom users, Lightroom does not have Layer support.  I'm not organized so I do not need Lightroom Library System.  I do not waste disk space on my small SSD boot Drive.  Lightroom'd Library databases requires a lot of disk space and is slow lacks Layer support. Less maintenance is better for me. 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Action! Good idea, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shayb,

I think you're stuck with that behavior, because from Photoshop's point of view, there are unsaved changes (a new, unsaved image has been created). If you "Edit original" from Lightroom (if you had already had a jpg or tiff or psd) then you could exit PS without having to save. It's only when PS has a new unsaved file (as evidenced by the "*" character next to the file name in the window's tab) that you have to say "yes, I'm sure."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines