• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scratch Disk Problem after macOS High Sierra Update

Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2017 Sep 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After updating my MacBook Pro to macOS High Sierra launched my Photoshop and was working on it and I was notified that my SSD is full (I have 2 drives in my MacBook one is 64GB SSD which contains apps & macOS and the other one is 1TB SSHD aka fusion drive which holds all my data and home user folder). Now for some reason, Adobe Photoshop only uses startup drive as a scratch disk and it becomes full very fast because of only 10gb free in it. I went into preference to check my settings but there was no listing of drives + I was unable to change anything there. it only suggests me to relaunch the photoshop with holding option+command keys which I did but it only provides the choice of startup only screenshots are attached below. I have already reset my Photoshop preferences via holding Shift+Option+Command method but still the same. Adobe Illustrator is however not affected by macOS update only Photoshop... Strange! see screenshots attached below...

Please help me solve this. I will also chat with Adobe support about this issue but they are closed for today.

Screen Shot 2017-09-30 at 1.17.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-30 at 1.19.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-30 at 1.19.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-30 at 1.17.13 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 02, 2017 Oct 02, 2017

Photoshop CC 2017 does not recognize APFS volumes as valid scratch disk destinations.

The exception is the boot volume, which you can set to be the scratch disk by holding down the command and option keys while you are launching Photoshop. In the "Scratch Disk Preference" dialog you can choose "Startup" and that will set the boot volume to be the scratch disk even when it is an APFS volume.

If you need further scratch disks, then you will need to point Photoshop to one or more HFS(+) volumes.

This

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your scratch drive HFS+ Journaled? It seems Photoshop CC 2017 under High Sierra will not recognize any other format, even AFPS.

While my AFPS SSD will be labeled  as the Startup in the First scratch, I can't assign it as a Second,Third, or Fourth scratch

I'm using a flash drive as a scratch disk. OSX 10.13 on a mid-2012 MBP.

Gene

Screen Shot 2017-09-30 at 4.49.36 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The other thing I should point out, that Adobe apps are developed by different teams in different locations and what may affect Photoshop, might not affect Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went through Conrad Chavez blog, It seems that first mistake was I updated to High Sierra without knowledge of compatibility issues but as I'm a subscribed member I was thinking that Adobe already went through these issues while doing beta testing of there products. The second mistake will be conversion to APFS file format because according to blog Photoshop is having trouble with APFS. only workaround until Adobe fix will be using an external drive with HFS file format prior to APFS...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well at least you know how to work around it and you should be able to get back to work.

Noel Carboni was a valued Windows OS contributor to these forums. I have kept his upgrade advice in my notes:

Upgrading  advice

Conscientious folks who need critical things to keep working don't just change out a working OS and complain to application makers that their having done so breaks their applications.  They test, they research.  THEN they migrate when it's safe to do so.

-Noel

So my main MBP is 10.12.6 and the secondary is running 10.13 for help in providing High Sierra advice.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both drives are now converted to APFS...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 02, 2017 Oct 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CC 2017 does not recognize APFS volumes as valid scratch disk destinations.

The exception is the boot volume, which you can set to be the scratch disk by holding down the command and option keys while you are launching Photoshop. In the "Scratch Disk Preference" dialog you can choose "Startup" and that will set the boot volume to be the scratch disk even when it is an APFS volume.

If you need further scratch disks, then you will need to point Photoshop to one or more HFS(+) volumes.

This is something that we are working on improving.

Jesper

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2017 Oct 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jesper, glad to hear that Adobe is working on the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jesper,

Is this still the case with the just released photoshop cc 2019 on macOS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No - this is not a problem with Photoshop CC 2019.

Jesper

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2020 Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jesper, any updates on APFS scratch drive compatibility?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 28, 2020 Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, there were updates 2 years and : versions ago. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This process allowed me to select the start up (an sdd) as the scratch disk but when I relaunch PS the disk does not show up in the scratch disk box so not sure if its using it or not at this point.

Screen Shot 2017-10-20 at 6.14.44 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2017 Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tymataus, which version of photoshop and OS you are using? if you are member of Adobe CC then simply update to Photoshop 2018 (Release 19.0) which will solve all the problem related to APFS formated drives in new macOS High Sierra.

Zeeshan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still running CS 5.1 on High Sierra, I'm guessing thats not going be supported?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tymotaus, CS 5.1 is not supported because according to Jesper Photoshop CC 2017 doesn't recognise APFS so CS 5.1 will be certainly not supported...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You still can use HFS+ formatted drives as scratch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2021 Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I still can't use my external SSD as a scratch drive for Photoshop 22.1.0 reguardless of the format.. APFS or OS Extended. It's a pain in the backside.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines