• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scratch volume and Windows primary paging

New Here ,
Jul 10, 2020 Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I recently tried to open my Photoshop 6 with Windows 10 it stopped during initialisation and I got the message: " Unable to continue because of a hardware or system error. Sorry but this error is unrecoverable". I uninstalled the program and reinstalled it. During opening I then got the message: " You currently have Adobe Photoshop primary Scratch and Windows primary paging on the same volume which can result in reduced performance. It is recommended that you set Adobe Photoshop primary Scratch to be on a different volume, preferably on a different drive".  I clicked "OK" on this message and the program worked fine. After closing the program I then got the same initial message when I next reopened it. I have read the various posts and my Photoshop primary scratch disc is Startup. I have tried changing it to C:\ but this appears to make no difference and it seems to revert to startup. Unfortunately, I am an old retired mechanical engineer not totally conversant with computers. I can only suppose that the problem may have been caused by a Windows "improvement"? Any help would be much appreciated.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2023 Nov 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting the exact same message also. I also have Photoshop 6 with Windows 10.

Can anyone help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean Photoshop Version 6 from ~2002?  That is 'pre-historic' in computer years!!

To get it working in Windows-10 your expectations may be well beyond the possibilities.

You may be able to start it in a WIndows Compatibility mode.

Do you know that for about the same cost as a 'sandwich & coffee' at a cafe (US$9.99), once a month, you can have the latest Version-13 in the Photography (20GB) Plan? , AND it includes- Lightroom-Classic, Lightoom-Mobile, a Portfolio web site, Adobe Bridge- Upgraded regularly. 

https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/photography/compare-plans.html

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I discovered what to do:

You need to run Photoshop 6 in Windows 98 Compatibility Mode.

1. Right click on Photoshop (desktop icon or c:\program files (x86)\adobe\photoshop 6.0\photoshp.exe) and select Properties.
2. Select the Compatibility tab.

3. Check the box marked "Run this program in compatibility mode for:".

4. Select "Windows 98 / Windows Me" from the drop down.

5. Click OK.

Photoshop 6 should now run without any error message.

Also important:

the paging file will be on the c:\ drive if that’s all you have… once you’re running again get go into photoshop edit> prefrences> plugins and scratch disks and change the scratch disk location from Startup to C:\. That’ll make the message go away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2024 Mar 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thank you!!!!!!! it worked perfectly. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines