• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Script Alert: "Sorry I could not process the following files" (Error Message using Image Processor)

Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2012 Sep 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a seasoned Photoshop/Bridge CS5 user who recently upgraded to CS6.  In Bridge I just ran my first Image Processor batch, trying to convert a set of RAW .NEF files to .PSD files with a basic editing action I created applied to them.  Photoshop CS6 opens the files from Bridge and applies the actions, but then I get the "Script alert" error message "Sorry I could not process the following files" and a list of all of the files in the batch I was trying to run the script on.  The files all remain open and are saved on my hard drive in a folder created by the Image Processor script, but do not close unless I manually close them.  I never had this problem in CS5 where the image processor would apply the desired actions to the batch of photos one at a time, then save and close.  Thoughts on how I can fix this bug?

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 24, 2013 Jan 24, 2013

Crank up your number of history states. I moved mine from the default of 20 to 60 and all is well. FYI, this action does not work on 16 and 32 bit documents.

Removing the reset of the history state will get you in trouble if you output more than one file type. If you go with the edit above I would recommend only using one output type at a time.

The script should probably set the history states high then reset it at the end. The problem with that is all machines may not be able to handle the large

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 25, 2012 Sep 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have this option on or off?

Preferences -> Interface -> Open Documents as Tabs

If you have 13.0.0 you need to turn it ON. If you get the 13.0.1 dot release (released about a week ago). You can have it on OR off.

Let me know if that fixes it for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 13.0.1 - Tried turning tabs on and off in preferences and it made no difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it any RAW file or all your RAW files? I would try a reset of Photoshop prefs. Ctrl-Alt-Shift when you launch it. And maybe a reset of ACR plug-in prefs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was happening on all RAW files - but not with all actions.  I did reset preferences in both programs but ultimately started playing with other actions and found that it must have been a compatibility issue with the action I was running (which was originally created in CS5) as other actions were working fine through the image processor.  I re-wrote the action in CS6 and am no longer having the script alert come up.  Thanks though for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 02, 2013 Jan 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a customer having the same problem and can repro it myself on CS4 and CS6 and with JPEG files as source files. Image Processor runs the action and even saves the new files, but leaves to layered files opened and presents an error dialog with the message "Sorry could not process the following files".

The problem seems to be that if the action does something that makes PS want to save the file as a copy. I've tried several actions that work just fine with Image Processor, but othrs do not. This behavior is consistent. Not sure exactly what action step(s) cause the problem, but always if PS wants to save the image as a copy, there is a problem. One problem example uses Channel Mixer to make a B&W image. Does not seem to have to do with color spaces or bit depth.

I tried rewriting the action, but that did not seem to work. I suspect danielleroe612 may have recreated the action with a slight change that fixed the problem. That's a fix that won't work for me.

Any advice is helpful. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 08, 2013 Jan 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Geoff,

Does your action have an explicit step to flatten and do a conditional mode change to something 'safe'? (To prevent a "Save as copy" condition)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 08, 2013 Jan 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another thing to see is if Image Processor Pro has the same issue. About half-way down on this page: http://russellbrown.com/scripts.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2013 Jan 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jeff--

No specific action steps to make the image safe - no flattening, etc. Had problems narrowing down the specific action step causing the problem. So I ran the Image Processor script in the ExtendScript ToolKit and debugged in. (I'm using the version that shipped with CS4.)

Turns out what was happening is that the app.activeDocument.close() command on line 1490 was never getting called, because the this.SaveFile() above it was throwing an exception. More debugging got me to the problem - SaveFile() tries to restore the history state after making a doc safe for saving as a JPEG. This causes an exception. So I commented out line 1571:

// app.activeDocument.ativeHistoryState = historyState;

The script runs just fine after this. I commented out the close to see what history states got added to the doc, but no new states are recorded, so commenting out the restore line should not cause any problems.

Of course, my solution does not solve the problem and I may need to comment out all the saveFile() lines that does this. Not sure why some actions have this problem and others don't. The actions I am running have about 25 steps. Perhaps PS is not catching up quick enough. I added a $.sleep(2500) after the restore history but that didn't help.

So, not sure where this gets us. I will check about posting an action set with just one of the actions that cause the problem. But I may also have our customer comment out that line of the Image Processor script.

Hope this helps. May post more next week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 15, 2013 Jan 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Follow up. Not having the problem with Image Processor Pro script using CS5 nor CS 6. So, if you can I recommend using that script from Dr. Brown instead of Image Processor that is installed with Photoshop.

Sent .atn file with action causing the problem to Jeff Tranberry for analysis and to reproduce the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2013 Jan 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow Geoff, you are genius, I did the same for CS6 on line 1577 and it magically worked!

thanks big time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2013 Jan 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome! Glad that helped you, Louie. Since you are using CS 6 you might try Image Processor Pro. It may offer some new features you'd find useful.

Have fun!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 24, 2013 Jan 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Geoff,

I've asked QE to debug this and log a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Crank up your number of history states. I moved mine from the default of 20 to 60 and all is well. FYI, this action does not work on 16 and 32 bit documents.

Removing the reset of the history state will get you in trouble if you output more than one file type. If you go with the edit above I would recommend only using one output type at a time.

The script should probably set the history states high then reset it at the end. The problem with that is all machines may not be able to handle the large amount of history steps. Meaning, bumping up the history steps may lead to "out of memory" or "scratch disk is full" errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Tom. That solution worked for me as well. I'd much rather tell customers to increase the number of History States than go edit the Image Processor script. I've notified our support about this suggestion.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2013 Aug 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried increasing the histry states, resetting preferences and it is not working for me. I receive the error with both RAW and jpeg files. I have tried every combination of options on the script with no success. Any other options?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2018 Jun 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am pretty new in photoshop. I have batch of images I want to change the skin tone. I have created an action using sample image, but when I try running it, it stops half way with an error message: Sorry I could not process the following files.

Please could you or anyone in the is forum guide me on this?

Thanks,

Toofred

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The image processor is broken in the new version. Good Luck...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 22, 2018 Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it all files or just some? If some, send me a private message and attach one of the files you are having trouble with. I just ran IP and it processes all my files and failed on the ones I expected it to fail on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2018 Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IP appears to process all the files but consistently fails at the end of processing. It then saves only the first file. The one time support got it to work, we moved the files and output folder to the desktop. It completed but only once. I could never get it to work again. I even moved the source and destination folders out of my library (photo) under the assumption that either the O/S or a cloud service was locking the destination folder. But that was probably wrong...All the folders are located on the same local drive...

Sadly it's still broken and I have given up. Digital Photo Professional from Canon does batch raw file processing properly for free, but can't make tonal changes at the same time.

here's a review:

- We increased the history and cache amounts.

- simplified the actions to be done to queued items to one change.

- all my files were raw files converting to jpeg.

- Moved the working environment outside any library folders

- set both photoshop and bridge to run "as administrator"

- My O/S is win 10 1803

Photoshop and Bridge are 2018 versions

Hope someone has a clue...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you get the list of files not processed or the alert "something really bad happened" at the end? IP is doing one file at a time. You should be able to watch the output folder to see the files getting saved. I do that to see how close I am to being done.

You say 2018 at the end of your last message. This fails in CC 2018 and CC 2019 or you are only using CC 2018?

You have any virus scanners running? If so which ones and does disabling make it work?

Are you always running from Bridge? Does running from File->Scripts result in the same behavior?

You said "It completed but only once" Was that ALL the files made it to the output? Or just a sub set?

Sorry for all the trouble.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tom,

- I don't get a list of files not processed, just the error message

- The output folder contains all of the files but only the first one has been processed.

-  I used the installed version from CC which I think is 2018

- I'm using webroot which never had an application error yet. I should try turning it off though

- I have run the script from both bridge and PS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tom Ruark wrote:

The script should probably set the history states high then reset it at the end. The problem with that is all machines may not be able to handle the large amount of history steps. Meaning, bumping up the history steps may lead to "out of memory" or "scratch disk is full" errors.

Tom, instead of changing the number of history states couldn't you create a snapshot, revert to the snapshot, then remove the snapshot at the end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That might work. I haven't done much snapshot scripting however. Let us know if that is a better solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Aug 07, 2013 Aug 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using a snapshot does avoid the issue of trying to set the history to a no longer valid state because it has be pushed off the history stack.

I tested with the default number of 20 states and a 30 step action and it runs fine. I then changed the number of states to 1 with the same action and it still ran.

TaylorMichigan, are you running an action when you have problems?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines