Scripting guide - copy blocked

Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Scripting documentation is amazing. It's like the '90 all over again.

Specifically, I'm wondering how dumb exactly adobe employee must be to:

- provide documentation in PDF format (ever heard of the web? name one other documentation that comes as a PDF)

- lock that PDF from COPYING!?! Seriously?

msedge_ccBLRTi90Z.png 

TOPICS
Actions and scripting, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I download PDF manuals from many manufacturer  for Products I buy so I can search through them with my computer. I'm not always online and online documentation is only better if it is kept up to date.  Photoshop is changing all the time documentation is never up to date and Photoshop scripting rarely gets a change so '90 documentation should be good. It can be copied however,.  you can not edit it or even copy paste from it which is a pain. Many time I wanted to copy information in the documents.

You may to find old version of Adobe scripting  documents on the web that are not locked with a password the you can copy and paste from. The information is most likely correct.

I know I copied script code out of old CS6 Photoshop Javascript reference.

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange. Shouldn't be locked. I'll get the web team to fix that. I've attached a copy you can copy from. Thanks for the report.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeffrey that PDF is 300KB smaller then the locked version online????

image.png

image.png

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jeff,

The JavaScript and AppleScript reference PDF files are also secured, has been this way for many releases. I understand why Adobe may wish to lock editing, but at least being able to copy should be permitted IMHO.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2021 Jun 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Each of the four pdf on https://www.adobe.com/devnet/photoshop/scripting.html

include code samples that are educational and form a solid jumpstart for beginners.

Not being able to copy these samples is suboptimal. 

If will be better when they are fixed.

thanks RrR

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another user lamenting the fact that the PDF files are secured from copy here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/vbs-scripting-examples-photoshop-vbs-ref-2020-pdf/m-p/12132...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The photoshop-vbs-ref-2020.pdf document seems perfect with the sample scripts provided.
However, the pdf document has been saved as a SECURE pdf so the examples can't be copied and pasted to another document to allow these examples to be run. SO are these examples available somewhere else as surely in this day and age we are not expected to type them out?

Clive

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Stephen for your prompt reply.

I noticed from the link that you supplied that Jeffrey Tranberry (Adode) was able to supply a 'normal' pdf copy of the 'photoshop scripting guide' the same day as the question was raised from the 'Adobe web team'.

Is this therefore possible for 'photoshop-vbs-ref-2020.pdf' to be supplied as I really can't see what the issue is........

Thanks Clive

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I missed out the name of the file that Jeffrey Tranberry (Adode) supplied. It was "photoshop-scripting-guide-2020_unlocked.pdf" and this can still be downloaded and examples copied from it.

So the question is can an unlocked version be provided for 'photoshop-vbs-ref-2020.pdf' as it seems so easy item to be resolved.

Thanks, Clive

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here's an unlocked version of the VBS doc. I've asked the team that handles these to update them on Adobe.com. Looks like they're working on organizing everything with the other APIs on Adobe.io

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines