Sectioning a poster image to print in sections to assemble again in a same size printed poster image

Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds confusing, but I have a 64"x32" size poster image. My printer is a standard 11"x8.5" printer. I want to section the 64"x32" image into 11"x8.5" sections in photoshop, print all those sections and then re-assemble them to a 64"x32" poster size.

Is this possible in Photoshop?

Thanks!

Rod

TOPICS
How to, Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Sectioning a poster image to print in sections to assemble again in a same size printed poster image

Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds confusing, but I have a 64"x32" size poster image. My printer is a standard 11"x8.5" printer. I want to section the 64"x32" image into 11"x8.5" sections in photoshop, print all those sections and then re-assemble them to a 64"x32" poster size.

Is this possible in Photoshop?

Thanks!

Rod

TOPICS
How to, Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 29, 2020 0
Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

watch this guy - the slice tool behind the crop tool

personally i would do it manually by eye and dragging the large image across inside a smaller 11x8.5 canvas and printing one at a time... move it across print... move it across print etc... and maybe give myself some overlap ... you could also overlay some 11x8.5 rectangle shapes as a guide on seperate layer.... but try this.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKWsCz2OINU

Made a sketch or liked a picture. Why not put a large poster of it on your wall. Learn to do so within 2 minutes.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 29, 2020 0
Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it needs measurements in pixels so 11 x 8.5 (at 300 dpi) should be 3300 x 2550 pixels 🤔

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 29, 2020 0
jane-e LATEST
Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you place your image into InDesign or save as a PDF, both InDesign and Acrobat have automatic tiling in the Print dialog box. Photoshop does not. I watched the video with slices and don't like it because it changes the file format and does not have any overlap between the sections.

If you are going to use Photoshop, you might:

• Save, then Save As
  • do some math. For instance, 11x3=33" and you have 32", so you can have 3 tiles in that direction with .5" overlap
  • once you have equal sizes, create a custom size for the rectangular marquee tool
  • select each section and Cmd+J to copy it to a new layer, preserving the original layer
  • Print each section and tape together

For the final, you will want to use a full size printer. Go to a print shop if you don't have one.

It will be easiest if you can do this through InDesign or Acrobat:

Tile printing in InDesign:

https://helpx.adobe.com/nz/indesign/using/printing-thumbnails-oversized-documents.html

Tile printing in Acrobat or Acrobat Reader:

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/print-posters-banners-acrobat-reader.html

~ Jane

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 29, 2020 1