• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 110 - Rooftop hero!

Community Expert ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The opening sequence of the James Bond Spectre film has our hero (played by Daniel Craig) running along the rooftops of Mexico City. I thought it might be fun to recreate that scene using Blender 3D to model and render it, along with Adobe Substance Painter and Substance Designer to texture it. It took me a little longer than I expected, but the result is below.

So now we have the scene, can you place your Bond, or any other hero, into it in a convincing way?

The “rules”:

• Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.
  • Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.
  • There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

To download the image below at 3000 x 2000 pixels with an embedded ICC colour profile (sRGB), hover over the image and click on the circle with the arrows at the top right. Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW110MexicoCityRooftopCGI.jpg

When posting back your image – please use the Blue reply button in this first post. If posting a comment on someone else’s entry then please use the grey reply button next to their image post.

Have fun!

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, this is spectacular! I am in awe.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another masterful rendition. Outstanding!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 12, 2020 Sep 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rafael.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave you have done a wonderful job recreating that scene, both with the modelling and texturing, had to Google the image and found this. Great work

563bae35a5f66.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ged and Jane

That was the image I used a a basis for modelling (along with google satellite and street views) although none of the photo appears in the textured render. I could have "cheated" and used projection mapping but I wanted to do it fully with textures (I ended up with 425 texture maps).  The untextured model looks like this:

2020-09-11_11-40-19.jpg

2020-09-11_11-41-22.jpg2020-09-11_11-39-17.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Daniel Craig is the best James Bond ever IMHO, but Sean Connery is maybe not too far behind.   Some of his opening sequences make my blood run cold though.  I mean how many stunt men did this scene take?  [Shudder]

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's time to tango!

SFTW110MexicoCityRooftop JE.jpg

~ Jane 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope they don't slip Jane 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries, Dave, the Argentines are very precise in where they put their feet while tangoing and will have no trouble dancing on your Mexican roof. If I'm wrong and there is a splat, though, it won't be in this scene and someone else will have to create it.  🙂

~ Jane

EDIT: Did we lose the ability to add emoticons?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think we have lost that today Jane 😞

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Jane they broke the emojis, it was mentioned in the backroom. so for now it's just this 😂 and this 😊

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, Jane.

I have much to answer for.

In this case I wrote this dangerous sentence in a thread about (emoji) wrecked scripts (you know the one with the sunglasses):

"Carlos, the issue with my kind of threads is the numbered instructions 1), 2), and so on: guess what happens when you get to the 8th."

And then it sort of snowballed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane,

we absolutely have to add to your comment (maybe later there is a Photoshop addendum :-):

As amateur dancers we, my wife and I, do have greater problems than the Argentine tango professionals: For example, would it be better to use the left foot or better the right foot? Therefore I conceived my self-critical literary contribution in form of an haiku:

behutsam schweb ich
mit dir aug in aug
und mit allen sinnen

vorlaut behauptet:
rechter fuss vor!
spröde versöhnung,
jetzt geht's mit links!

This "jetzt geht's mit links!" means here a little bit ironically something like "So if you can do something even "with your left hand", it must be really easy to do."

Hans-Günter (who has birthday today! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 13, 2020 Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Hans, I had to use Google to translate your Haiku — it's beautiful! We saw tango dancers for the first time last December in Argentina and were very impressed.

Aren't most things easiest with your left hand, though? Have a happy birthday, Hans, and celebrate well.

@Jacob: 🙁 🤷‍  🤨

Cheers,

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW110MexicoCityRooftopCGIAviles.jpg

How did she get so lost?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant idea Rafael. But has Bond shot a hole through her bag ?  🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops! Nothing that a little magic can't fix! (Done, and thank you.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rafael,

The most extraordinary about her arrival is that, rather than merely floating in from the upper left, she is rematerializing thence, almost all there, her right hand being a bit behind. Maybe a bit of the bag went before only by a twinkle. And maybe her being under attack/taking some flak has caused a (surprisingly little certain amount of) disturbance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob,

That, or a bit of path blur in Photoshop...😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Week110.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've given that a nice action comic book look Rista. It just needs a few "Pows" and "Zaps".... 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ooooooooh.  I might have some fun with this over the weekend

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know me at this point...  lol

SFTW110MexicoCityRooftopCGI-warunicorn.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi James - I like that treatment with the textures and the split up image elements. It works well.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines