• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 116 - Hello, hello!

Community Expert ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With mobile phone models becoming obsolete very quickly and their replacements ever more expensive I thought that, this week, we might return to a slower paced age. So I've modelled an old "candlestick" phone, textured it in Adobe Substance Painter, and rendered two views.

This weekend's challenge is to put it in a scene or make something else with it. Will you take us to a bygone age, find a new use for the phone, or ignore the brief entirely and go off at a tangent? 🙂

The “rules”:

• Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.
  • Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.
  • There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

To download either image at 2000 x 3000 pixels, with an embedded ICC colour profile (sRGB), hover over the image and click on the circle with the arrows at the top right. Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW116ACandlestickPhone.jpg

SFTW116BCandlestickPhone.jpg

When posting back your image – please use the Blue reply button in this first post. If posting a comment on someone else’s entry then please use the grey reply button next to their image post.

Have fun.

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 24, 2020 Oct 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A total liberty as it isn't Dave's render, but the thought is there. 😉

Toffs.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blimey.  We mentioned the Banksy paintinf that featured a traffic cone and shopping trolly in a recent SFTW.  It has just sold for $9.8 million!

https://edition.cnn.com/style/article/banksy-monet-painting-intl-scli-gbr/index.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We'll have to put our old SFTW threads up for sale and share the $10m 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another clever use of the phone parts Jacob. I like the reference to Alexander Graham Bell.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you again, Dave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why doesn't your image appear for me on W7 and Chrome?

It works in IE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue and I think it is because Jacob does not "paste" his images here on the forum, he hosts them on his own website and places a link to them here. For some reason, Chrome does not show them, but Safari does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob and Rafael,

Are you saying that neither of my posts show, here in the thread?

And as Rafael said; but I post as live links (as I have done for some 16 - 20 years, long before the switch before the switch) so they ought to show, at the alotted size; and then it ought to be possible tp RightClick to open at full size in another Tab, maybe just by clicking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob,

Yes, that is what I am saying. Your posts show only the text you typed, the image itself is not visible. There isn't even an indication that there should be a link in the post, so nothing to right-click. I don't know when this behavior started, I noticed it a few weeks back and I made a comment about it but nobody replied to it. The odd thing is, if I use Safari instead of Chrome, the image shows up and it is clickable. That is how I figured you were posting a live link to the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sharing, Rafael.

Was it one of mine or in another context?

I wonder whether it is a new Chrome bug/feature/setting, hopefully reversible.

Dean just reported the same on my other image in this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have only experienced this issue with your image posts, not with your text posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't see the posts here. It does appear to be a Chrome issue with the way the image is included in the message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A version of a generational phone joke.

SFTW116ACandlestickPhone_generations.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Dean_Utian , your "Grandma" joke triggered a very early memory for me. I might have been 5 or 6 years old, and was visiting my grandmother in what was then a very small town in Missouri, and she had a phone that looked like this on her wall. It still worked, and I remember her showing us how to make calls with it. As soon as you picked up the receiver, the operator would answer and ask who you wanted to talk to, then she would connect you. Did I mention there were party lines? So other folks might potentially pick up their phones and listen.

And in a town that small where everyone knew each other, my grandmother and the operator would start the call by greeting each other.

8A41F42C-CF20-484F-A84B-454DFFD4298E.jpeg

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane, I heard from an aunt about her asking the operator to talk to [a friend], and then she (the operator) told her: "She is just gone over to [another friend] so I will connect you there".

Both her friends were living on farms, and the operator had a wide view over the area.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I grew up in a small town in Mexico, where our phones looked like the one in the middle of Dean's post, minus the dial. You lifted the receiver and after a few seconds the Operator would answer. You had to give her (yes, it was always a female operator) the number of the party you were trying to reach. If you didn't know the number, and you asked nicely, she would look it up for you. She was able to tell you if the number was busy, and I always assumed it was because she could listen in to see if that was the case. Phone numbers were three digits only!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing Jane.

Great phone and memory 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The hand crank on the side was a generator that rang the bell either in the central office or another phone. Some did have batteries. By the time I got a rotary dial phone, the phone company provided their own power separate from the local electric company.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG Jane, we had that identical antique phone mounted on the wall in the den growing up.

I don’t know the full history, which relative or which generation it came from.

You crank the handle, the bells rang. There was a latch on the side to open.

Inside there were lots of wires.

We sold the phone to an antique dealer when mom and dad passed away.

Some very creative entries this week!!!

K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nostalgia time: When I was a kid we lived in the Bronx, a place named for Jonas Bronck. (People would visit “the Broncks.”) Our neigborhood consisted of some two family homes but, for the most part, the streets were lined with apartment houses and some of the families who occupied them couldn’t a afford a phone.

Lining many streets were the usual: a shoemaker, a tailor, a pharmacy and a candy store…always a candy store… where people would buy a cigarette for a penny, and kids could buy “two cents  plain” a glass of ice cold seltzer.

It also had a phone booth, a potential gold mine.   

We’d hang out there, put a finger in the phone’s return slot now and then hoping for a nickel. (I never was that lucky.) But once in a while a call would come in and we would have the opportunity to take down the address information called in and race to the specified address and apartment to announce that the family had a call "at the candy store."

That earned you a tip. The tip was rarely money. It was a “deposit bottle” that you returned to the grocer for two or three cents. As you can see, in the Bronx, a phone booth was a gold mine.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A great story and insight into a bit of social history Norman. I love SFTW for what we learn as well as the images.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, Nostalgia time, phones

Yes, I remember pay phones! We all used them. 

For my BIG sweet 16 birthday gift, my parents purchased a pink, Princess phone, rotatory phone for me.

I was so joyful and soooo extremely grateful.

K

Screen pink phone.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had a few phone gags arrive in my inbox this week.  This was my favourite

image.png

But this was a close second

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines