• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 51 - Merry Christmas!

Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2018 Dec 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I thought we should have a Christmas themed scene for this week's starter image. So I've modelled and rendered the scene - can you bring it to life?

Anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.

Anyone and everyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.

There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

When posting back your edited images please use jpeg and downsize to 1200px on the long side.

To download the image below in jpeg format with ICC color profile (sRGB) and without the forum scaling artefacts , right click and then use Save Image As /Save Target As (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW51Christmas.jpg

Enjoy - and have a great Christmas.

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may be the most obvious but Santa needs an appearance

Wish all a good Christmas and happy new year.

SFTW51Christmas2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice one Dean. You're the first in with Santa Claus, but I've a feeling he may make more than one appearance this weekend

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's my Santa

SFTW51Fireplace_007.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ChristmasTechWednesday.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are going to he a lot of Santas this week, but how many Santa Daves? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha

Trevor, now we know how I came to lose my hair !

Graham - at first I thought it was a greetings card then I saw the sock had been opened and I wondered - advent calendar ?
Jerry - Nice job with the waving Santa!

Keep them coming - plenty room for more in the Christmas special SFTW!

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just puzzle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And how many have the right taste in beer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fo-Anim-_2-REDUCED.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the fire is a nice touch mate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rista12  Yes, a nice job animating the fire. 

A wee tip to avoid the jump at the end of the timeline. 

1. Copy all the frames (Shift Ctrl C), and paste them after the last frame. (Shift Ctrl P)
  2. Then reverse the copied frames (Alt Ctrl R)
  3. You had 10 Frames.  After copying and reversing the frames, frames 10 and 11 will be identical, which will produce a tiny pause, so delete frame 11.

On the down side, this will increase the file size.

Fire-Modified.gif

So a few less frames

Fire-Modified-2.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see the difference, Trevor, now that you are showing it.  I'll save your instructions for next time.  Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 22, 2018 Dec 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Rista - great job on the card - and the burning fire makes an excellent touch.

Dean - A nice take on it and I've just learnt something. I didn't know what a driedel was - but I do now

Jane - After seeing Rudolph I then spotted the tea, Bonus points for getting a previous SFTW challenge worked in. [Edit - and I just spotted the lighthouses !]

Trevor - If Santa gets a new sleigh like that one - I'll take the job !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's another version - an Australian representation.
<modified with another Aussie native>

<modified again - talking about shadows, I adjusted the platypus>
<modified again with more Aussie suited snacks for Santa>

SFTW51ChristmasAus2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is the blue ringed optupus, the tree spider and the shark? The nastiest thing in that room is the little critter in front of the lounge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, left out  a few

We do have the deadliest spiders in the world.

The 10 Most Venomous Spiders in Australia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 23, 2018 Dec 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ussnorway  wrote

Where is the blue ringed optupus, the tree spider and the shark? The nastiest thing in that room is the little critter in front of the lounge

I added something just for you - the Sydney funnel web.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dean_Utian wrote

Ussnorway   wrote

Where is the...

I added something just for you...

Dean, where are the Tim Tams and Vegemite for Santa’s snacks?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jane-e  wrote

Dean, where are the Tim Tams and Vegemite for Santa’s snacks?

Good point Jane. That has been rectified. See new version. Not 100% in proportion but ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ussnorway  wrote

The nastiest thing in that room is the little critter in front of the lounge

Blimey Graham.  I had to look up the Platypus because I was not aware there was anything 'nasty' about them.  I think everyone knows they are a bit unusual, but I had no idea they have venom laced spurs in their back legs (only males).   They also have a very cool super-power.  They can detect electric fields, and are trained by Ozi DIY peeps to detect power cables behind GIB/Stud walls.

Platypus - Wikipedia

Dean Great job with post #24.  I love all the little details, and that is an excellent set of shadows on the Kangaroo — you've really anchored it to the floor.   You should have answered Graham's question about where the spiders were hiding, with 'Down the dunny waiting to bite you on the bum!.   You think of darkest Africa or the Amazon jungle as places full of deadly creatures, but Australia...   By heck.  I know who I'd put my money on if this ever happened!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

Great job with post #24.  I love all the little details, and that is an excellent set of shadows on the Kangaroo — you've really anchored it to the floor.  

Thanks Trevor. Glad you like it and that it comes across well. The platypus didn't feel exactly right but have just adjusted it now.

The technique I used for shadow for quite a few of the additions was (using the kangaroo as an example):

1. In a new layer, I used the brush with 60 pixel size, 0% hardness, black colour, and drew along the bottom of the tail and feet of the kangaroo.

2. Since the brush thickness extended above the feed and tail, I erased the top part.

3. I then moved the layer below the kangaroo. I had drawn on a layer on top to help identify where to draw.

4. I changed the opacity of the layer to 65%.

For the spider,
1. I selected the spider shape by Control and clicking the layer (Windows).

2. Expanded the selection by 2 pixels.

3. Feathered the selection by 2 pixels.

4. Filled the selection with black (in a new layer above the spider).
5. Changed the opacity to 75%.
6. Moved the layer behind the spider.

I was happy with the way the koala worked out. For this, I did not try select the edges of the koala precisely. The koala was in a tree and I selected the area around the koala with leaves. I pasted into the the Christmas tree and used an eraser brush with a feathered edge to blend the edges in. I kept a few gum leaves as the koala needs something to eat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this Infographic of dangerous creatures in Oz.  It's worse than we thought!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 27, 2018 Dec 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

I found this Infographic of dangerous creatures in Oz.  It's worse than we thought!

Here's where I admit that I didn't look as closely at Trevor's infographic as I ought, and some of Australia's deadliest were questioned by the girls, including:

Hypnotic kitten

Vampire hamster

Zomby bunny

"They do not question their awesomeness, though."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Back on the spider, here is at a larger size to fully appreciate.

1. Spider without shadow.

spider1.jpg

2. Shadow with a slightly expanded and feathered of the spider boundary.

spider2.jpg

3. Combined.
spider3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines