• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Spacebar Shortcut: Hand Tool Showing But Not Working

Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2012 May 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Runing the CS6 trial on a Windows 7 Laptop (x64). I was in Photoshop (64), and noticed that when I held down the spacebar to pan the open image, the hand icon would show but the tool will not work. No matter how many times I click and drag, the image stays still. If I select the MANUALLY select the hand tool it works, but the spacebar shortcut key is non-functional. This issue persists across both the 32 & 64 bit versions of Photoshop.

Ideas? Help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 15, 2012 May 15, 2012

Thanks for the assist, Dennis & Co.

Now, it's embarassing confession time. I did more testing, and discovered the problem persisted across different Adobe Applications. So I started looking for causes of the problem with my system, and noticed that TouchFreeze, a utility to disable the laptop trackpad when typing to prevent the cursor from being jumped around the screen by the palm of your hand, was running (I only turn it on when I'm planning on doing prolonged typing). Lo and behold, as soon as

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2015 Jan 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I discovered it was conflicting with the AV software WebRoot. I deactivated it and it works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 12, 2015 Feb 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just want to say that I just had this issue, Mac Pro Retina running Yosemite. Temporary hand tool with spacebar would not work. I had to quit safari to fix the issue. I was able to relaunch safari and it is still working. Not sure why it does it but now it's working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2015 Mar 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem in Illustrator CS6 that the SPACEBAR is not working, when the spacebar is press the hand sign show but is not panning. I found that the advice from is working.

30.  Re: Spacebar Shortcut: Hand Tool Showing But Not Working

MikeV1234    Community Member

Windows 8

Go to  Metro UI> Settings > PC and Devices > Trackpad > Touchpad - 

• Deactivate the Touchpad Delay.

Now my illustrator SPACEBAR is working like normal again. Thank Mike.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works on my Windows 10: Disable Touchpad delay.

img_55afc0b8a5803.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2015 May 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I came here looking for answers. Someone mentioned they used a new mouse and all was fine. But my current mouse IS fine. So I looked at the usb ports, I was using 1 of 2 regular ports. I plugged the mouse into the 3.0 usb port and MAGICK! All is well. Hopefully that helps someone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2015 Dec 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a spankin new Dell Precision 7510, and Adobe CC (PS and AE) was the first thing I installed.  I immediately noticed the Hand tool wasn't working in either; initially it wouldn't move at all - it showed the hand when pressing the spacebar, but the hand wouldn't respond to the trackpad or nub.  Then I disabled Dell's TouchGuard, which is intended to prevent accidentally mousing while typing.  Now the hand will move while pressing the spacebar, but it still has no effect.  BTW switching to the Hand Tool via menu or H works fine.

Wondering if anyone else has any ideas.  I've looked for other options mentioned in the thread, but this is Windows 10 Pro 64, so the flicks and "pen and touch" options mentioned are nowhere to be found.

I did try the other items mentioned including restart, close other apps, etc.  But I'm open to suggestions.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2016 Jan 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is called Overscrolling, to solve this problem use regedit.exe to open your registry editor and add new DWORD (32bit) Value called ExtraOverscrolling, as follows:

for cs6

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Photoshop\60.0]

"ExtraOverscrolling"=dword:00000002

for cs5

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Photoshop\12.0]

"ExtraOverscrolling"=dword:00000002

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2016 Jan 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the idea!  Here's the key I created (last line there.)  Is that right?  It did not fix the problem.

PSregSC.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2016 Jan 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello stefansowder,

I can see in the image you posted above that you are using Photoshop CC 2015 (Because in your registry it says 90.0) ... In Photoshop CC 2015 you don't need to add any new registry value. Instead you can activate overscrolling from inside Photoshop itself. Click Edit then hover over References, then click Tools, and then make sure the option Overscroll is checked. Hope this will solve your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2016 Jan 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did enable Overscroll, restarted, and I still can't use the Hand tool.  Just to clarify:  I can use the Hand tool with no problem with an external mouse.  But while holding the space bar and using the trackpad, I see the hand tool icon as the cursor, but nothing moves.  Thanks for all your suggestions!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2016 Mar 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My solution was-  delete Punto Switcher or add Photoshop to list of "an exception list" of this program)

If its doesnt work - check every process in your Pc or Mac. Try to delete one by one and every time check the shortcuts in PS

Imac, OS El capitan + wacom Intuos3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2016 Apr 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, so glad I found this thread!

I've been using Adobe since version 4 or 5...almost half my life, and the space bar was the first and most often-used hot key I ever employed with my work.

All of a sudden today, it no longer switches to the Hand Tool temporarily, which slows my entire process down.

Adobe!!! This is like quietly removing the brake from a vehicle you've been driving most of your life!

I use Adobe CC 15 with a Wacom Intuous, on a Mac Pro 2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5, running Yosemite 10.10.3 and the few-but-growing changes in hotkeys and layout over the past couple releases/updates have been making my head spin!! I wish they would consult with veteran users when they start redesigning their entire GUI!

Only after having to find my hidden Library/Prefs folder, deleting the settings file there, resetting the prefs by double clicking the app and then holding Shift+CMD+OPT, (still not working) and finally closing and reopening Chrome, did the shortcut come back.

PHEW!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2016 Jun 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is Palm Gesture Threshold.

For anyone using a laptop touchpad and Windows 8 or above, I managed to solve this problem by adjusting the following setting:

Control Panel > Mouse > Settings (Your installed TouchPad driver, mine was Synaptics) > Palm Gesture Threshold (could be under "Advanced" tab) > Pull the slider to Minimum/Disable the setting.

All this time I'd been confused why this panning feature just wouldn't work anymore. Keep in mind, the Hand Tool will not pan in Standard Screen Mode unless the document is significantly zoomed beyond 100% (or simply if the canvas is larger than your screen resolution that the Navigator window's red rectangle resizes). For any other screen mode it will work as it should.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2016 Aug 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for your information about TouchFreeze.  I was having the same spacebar/hand problem.  I uninstalled TouchFreeze, restarted my computer, and now everything is working perfectly.  Much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2016 Sep 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been dealing with this for a while and none of the solutions above have worked. I'm on a Win10 - Lenovo X1 laptop, with Illustrator CC 2015.3. I was about to give up since there hasn't been any response from Adobe (shockingly </sarcasm>) when I accidentally discovered something, the shortcut has changed. Instead of space bar and mouse its:

Alt + Space bar more specifically: Space bar + Alt I got the hand tool, clicked the mouse to get the hand to grab the document and move it around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2016 Sep 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also In Photoshop CC 2015.5 it is Shift + Space bar

I discovered this today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2017 Jan 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. Restart solved the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using an Evoluent Brand Mouse.

In Windows 7, Adobe Photoshop CC (2016/2017) the space bar/pan worked fine.

In Windows 10, Adobe Photoshop CC (2016/2017) the space bar would change the icon to a hand, but would not pan around the image (no effect).

Solution A:

I plugged in a standard generic mouse and I can pan fine.

Work-around Solution B:

I can use the mouse wheel to pan vertically and I can hold control to pan horizontally

Better work-around solution C:

I can hold space and tap control key once, then I can pan around using the Evoluent Mouse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, it was the Dell touchpad setting. I had to set it to Always on, no delay and it worked, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2017 Apr 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problem occurred on a laptop with touchpad. This has not worked for 2-1/2 yrs, since new. Found the solution here but I repeat it. I am on Windows 10 with an ASUS laptop and running PS CC and LR.

Solution was to go to touchpad settings and disable touchpad delay to "No delay (always on)". Default setting from factory was "short delay".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2020 Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello, Im using Windows 10 with Photoshop Cs5 and i have the same problem with space bar.

The solution is adjust the touchpad sensivity to the highest value. In win 10 Settings > Devices > Touchpad: you have a SELECT with the option "most sensitive". 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines