Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tiff file size issue

Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all.

Ive recently been getting space warnings so went looking at what is useing it.  What i found is strange and im hoping someone can help.

Open a raw file from LR into PS and it shows as about 119meg at the bottom of PS screen.  Save the file as a tiff with no compression and its 119meg.  save with compression and its 139meg.  nothing was done to the image other than open it.  Now take same raw and open direct to PS and save its 59meg and compressed 39meg.  What is going on.  So now i have hundreds of files at approx 119meg going back to 2018.  even open one up in PS and save wont change its size.  In one folder i have 10 tiffs all different images with different amount of changes etc and even some as mono. All are 119.8meg

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What compression settings are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please provide an actual file or at least meaningful information – pixel dimensions, color mode, bit depth, tiff options, …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

The file is 3648x5472 raw from canon 6d.  Opened from LR into PS and no work done just save as tiff.

With compression set to none. interleaved and macintosh (defaults on mine) set file is 119.8meg

with compression set to lzw and rest left same file is 152meg

Same raw that LR used but right click open with PS and do the same save i get 59meg no compression and 32meg compressed.

And just as im checking the colour mode and bit think ive seen it.  open direct in PS and its 8bit.  opened via LR and its 16bit.  So a setting in LR by looks of it.

So any way to bulk change hundreds of files to 8bit without opening each one?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»So any way to bulk change hundreds of files to 8bit without opening each one?«

That’s not what Photoshop is for, but there are other applications that might be able to do that. 

I think I remember reading about an issue with LZW-compression and 16bit images that causes a size-increase. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi,  

i agree ps is not for that.  I did mead other/3rd party software but was not clear sorry.  thanks for the link though

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I never used it myself but I think I read a while back that Imagemagick is useful for bulk-converting … 

https://imagemagick.org/index.php

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines