• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trouble importing video to photoshop

New Here ,
May 05, 2019 May 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I frequently import short (<5s) video clips into photoshop (Import->Video Frames to Layers) in order to convert them to GIFs to use in presentations. This normally works fine. But I have some .avi files that I want to import and when I try, they are greyed out. I can open them fine in QT. I tried opening them in QT and saving them as .mov files. Then they aren't greyed out in PS, but when I try to open them I get a message that says that the file could not be opened. The files will open fine in QT. What gives? I need to be able to either open the original .avi or the converted .mov file.

I'm using the latest PS CC on a Mac running Mojave.

Thanks!!

Bryan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
May 06, 2019 May 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bryan,

Sorry that you cannot import .AVI files as frames in Photoshop so that you can export them as .GIF's.

Which exact version of Photoshop CC are you using? How many frames are you attempting to import?

You may try opening the video file in Photoshop or drop it on Photoshop instead of importing it. You could also try adding it as an additional video clip in the Video timeline. You can then create layer form frames if you need to make a frame animation.  Video Files should open in Photoshop as a video layer and animated gif should open as a layered document with a frame animation timeline.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the latest version (sorry, I'm not at home so I can't check). I just upgraded last week.

I've tried opening it and I get the same error. It's like the file is bad, except that it opens fine in QT. It's a 1 second clip, I don't know how many frames.

Mostly what I've done in the past is use QT to screen capture a video and then import it into PS to convert it to GIF for use in PPT. GIFs work just fine for what I need and take up a lot less space. Those files always work fine.

But I this file won't open. I recorded it using an ultrasound machine and the machine exports it as an .avi file. The file opens fine in QT and even if I save it as a .mov file in QT, THAT file will still open, but not in PS. I need to use this clip (and I will likely have many more in the future) in a teaching presentation and I'd like to make it a GIF so I don't end up with HUGE PPT files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop supports the below video file formats: \\

If the video file is not converted to the above mentioned formats, Photoshop won't be able to recognize it.

I believe that the issue is related to a codec that Photoshop doesn't support or the video file is corrupt.

~Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Try converting the file to one of the recognised formats using Handbrake and open the converted file in Photoshop

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK, thanks. I'll try that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm...but I've tried both avi and mov. The avi is the native file and the mov was the avi file converted using QT. The files themselves are not corrupt because QT opens both easily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines