• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

trying to print a mirror image in specific sizes

Explorer ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been successful in creating mirror images in PhotoShop.  I would like to print these images.  Yet after I complete making the mirror image and I try to crop the image/prepare the image for a proper print size, the size just does not work.  Is there a step at the beginning of creating the mirror image where I can select the final/desired size ---e.g. 5 x 7", 4 x 6", 8 x 10" ? Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"the size just does not work"

Hi @cassandrap92487709 

"Does not work" can mean so many things, so please clarify what is happening and what you want to happen. Screen shots will help us.

~ Jane 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will edit my request to state when you are creating a mirror image is there a way to make sure that your final image can be cropped/sized for specific print sizes? Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, I assume you are are using Edit > Transform > Flip Horizontal to mirror the image. Once it is flipped, that part is no longer relevant to cropping/sizing. If you are flipping from the View menu, that is a view setting and is temporary. Don't do it this way. You didn't say how you are doing this part.

Be sure to make a copy before you mirror, crop, or scale so you preserve your original.

There are two ways to crop:

• Crop tool: set the options to ratio and chose W x H x PPI
  • Rectangle Marquee tool followed by Image > Crop
    If you do this, set the options bar to fixed size and choose (for example) W: 5" x H: 7". You have to type inch marks or "in" or it will convert to pixels. Confirm inches. Use a selection tool to drag the marquee, then choose Image > Crop.
    Use the drop down menu on the far left and create a preset that you can reuse. Repeat for the other sizes.
    https://www.peachpit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=784759&seqNum=6

If the image is very large, you might need to go to Image > Image Size first to size it. 

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your time. I used the following method to make the mirror image:  How to Mirror an Image in Photoshop - Step by Step (photoshopessentials.com)   .  I will take your advice and try the other method of creating a mirror image and getting a standard print size! 🙂  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried----I must be skipping a step/selection.  I chose fixed size---5 x 7" (I did enter in for inches) and I thought that I did drag the marquee tool.  I kept getting a brilliant purple line as I would try to crop around the image (?)  with the dotted lines only moving one side (top or bottom) at a time.  I then did the following:  1) background copy; 2) free transform and move the toggle reference point; 3)  horizontal flip; 4) select the transform; 5) select 'm' to remove the crop lines; 6) select the reveal all tool in image.  I then do a fit to screen.  Here is my image----I still cannot fit it to a 5 x 7" print size. The image is obviously longer than it is wide and I cannot crop it into a 4 x 6" or 5 x 7" print size. Just about to quit this entire project-----I am sure that there is a simple styep that I am leaving out or something. Thanks again for your time.Screenshot (5).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I don't think this image will work as either a 4x6 or 5x7 unless you either

• cut some of it out
    or
  • include more of the water from the original photo
    or
  • distort it.

The aspect ratios (the relationship between the width and the height of an image) are different.

Go to Image > Image Size and set it to Inches. What size is the file in inches?

It's lovely just as it is. Does it have to be in a standard size print? Are you printing to your own printer or will it be professionally printed or one of those machines that many stores have?

If it were mine and I were not printing to my own printer, I would add canvas to the top and bottom to get the aspect ratio, and trim it with a photo trimmer after I got it home.

Another volunteer may have another idea.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please forgive my typos--and the fact that I meant to say that this image is wider than it is high.  I keep a couple of wildlife photo albums---and they are for either 4 x 6" or 5 x 7" prints. I do not own a color printer.  I might actually consider doing some re-sizing of the original image----perhaps getting the dimensions to be set to 1/2 the width--and then playing around with that.  This 'mirror' project spiked my interest after seeing a mirrored image of a very exotic bird-----at least I can say that I can get a mirror image---but getting a print of it (without excess distortion) may be a different issue.  Thank you very much for your time and help----so many things to learn about in PhotoShop!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you go to Image > Image Size and change the Width to 7 inches, what does Photoshop choose for the Height?

(Choose Cancel after you find out!)

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines