Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Warm colours in portret-photography

Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2018 Jun 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

i am looking for a workflow (post-processing), how-to or help to achieve the warm colours which I often see .

For example these pictures :https://www.google.nl/search?q=lisetmor+families&rlz=1C5CHFA_enNL693NL693&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ...

are they using layers or something?

I hope anyone can help me to achieve this in my pictures,

best regards,

Henk

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a lot of techniques and tricks to achieve such a look and feel.

Look here: "Soft" Style Dreamy Child Portrait Edit in Photoshop | PiXimperfect - YouTube . Does that help?

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 13, 2018 Jun 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am going to take a look !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post an image (or a Flores versions of it) that you wish to edit thusly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

070416_43.JPG

This one would be nice to see it in warm colours 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For starters, a Levels layer, and drop the output highlight sliders in the green and blue channels to taste:

warm1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

comp.png

Fig 1. Starting image

Fig 2. To neutralize the overall cooling effect of sky light as evidenced by the blue cast in the black carriage hood opposite her arm:  Image > Adjustments > Curves. Choose the middle eyedropper and click in that blue area.

Fig 3. To add a slight honey color: Image > Adjustments > Photo Filter.. Warming Filter. Use slider to meet personal preference. Be careful to not overdo. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Nice picture!  You can do a lot with curves layers and associated masks.

Any layers below - other than normal blending mode and 100% opacity are shown as such in brackets

Warmer.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice try Dave. You did the complete job... 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2018 Jun 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So great ! Really what I am looking for! I hope I can make it and that I will make the good translations to Dutch 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shadow depth of field assisted by selected blur, burned in image edges, a Photoshop warming filter adjusted with its slider and a tonal range & composition that lends itself to these effects -- those are a few of the elements displayed in this Google collection. As c.pfaffenbichler​​ advises, post the image so that we can be more helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To learn editing skills like the ones which are in Your google search link, better search for tutorials in Youtube or register in online teaching websites such as linda.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the first image

Go info Camera Raw and adjust the highlight balance by adding yellow and a bit of red

Then copy that layer and hold down th option key and add a layer mask making that mask black.

Set that layer to multiply. 

Add another layer and set that to Color Dodge.  

Click on the background layer and choose Select/Subject and invert that selection

Click on the multiply layer nad brush in the areas you want to darken.  Click on the color dodge layer and brush in the highlights in the background. 

Done and here's the result

Untitled-2.jpg

ICC programmer and developer, Photographer, artist and color management expert, Print standards and process expert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 16, 2018 Jun 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Bob ,

thanks for your answer !!

I still have some questions:

Do you mean the highlight balance in CR on the 4th page and than the left , middle or right options to play with the colours?

But than you are in PS , so I have to open PS en make a black mask with the optionbutton. ?

Rest is following later 🙂

thanks again !

Henk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 17, 2018 Jun 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the way to make white balance changes in Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) for your image HenkScreen Shot 2018-06-17 at 5.50.16 AM.png

ICC programmer and developer, Photographer, artist and color management expert, Print standards and process expert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok , first step is setting the WB with the buttons temperature and tint. , that's clear !

But now I want to now how I can colour the background best without the girl ?

Making a layer in PS and cut her out ? A white layer or black?

and than.... 🙂 ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Henk,

Here's a screen grab of all the layers.  Since I recreated this again I took some artistic license to change one part of my process.

So there is a screen layer that adds some extra sunshine to the top left corner

The path forward from where you are at is to copy that new warmer colored layer and name it Multiply Layer. 

Then select /subject.

That does a fair job to get the main character.  Clean that mask up as needed to fit around the details.

add a layer mask and invert that so the background is white and the subject is masked out. Set this layer to Multiply mode

Copy that Multiply layer and set that new Layer to Color Dodge mode. 

Paint on the masks for both of these layers using black in multiply mode to add highlights and shadows where you wish in your image. 

Then I chose this time to add another empty layer and set it to screen mode.  I selected a skin color and painted it over the areas I wished to add sunlight.  You can certainly paint sunbeams or whatever you wish.   

Screen Shot 2018-06-18 at 5.53.51 AM.png

Adjust the blend percentages of each layer to your own taste. 

I believe I had the Color Dodge and the Multiply layers set to 100% and the Screen layer set to about 50%, but those will be different depending on how much painting you do and what brush density is used. 

Hopefully that clears things up!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2018 Jun 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again Bob !! I am translating the text , print it and gonna try !! Super!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you have got a lot of advice!  Bob did some great work (cheers bob)!

Here is another video tutorial that might be helpful.

How To Make Colors POP In Photoshop - YouTube

There are so many ways to create an effect in Photoshop.  YouTube will be your best friend!  The great thing is even the pros learn something new each day as everyone know a different trick to accomplish a task!  Have fun exploring and working on the photo! Excited to see if you are able to accomplish the task you want!  Share when you are finished!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the usefull link ! I saw that that also helps a lot !

Only my problem is that I can't remember long what I did , so I have to look each time...:-(

That's the reason that I am looking for a easy and simpel way to make it look warm.

But i am gonna try !

Thanks for your reaction!

And indeed, youtube is a real treasure 🙂

regards,

Henk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

henki18786763  wrote

Only my problem is that I can't remember long what I did , so I have to look each time...:-(

What you need is training. Doing the manipulations several times in a row. With that you will even be able to find your own way to achieve the result. And remember: there are may ways to get a similar result. This isn't rock science.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines