• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Where are my brushes stored ???

Contributor ,
May 06, 2018 May 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So nothing I could find will tell me where my brushes are stored. Info seems to be out dated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 06, 2019 Mar 06, 2019

Hi

The abr files are used for loading brushes and exporting them.

The current brush panel contents are contained in a preference file which on Windows is in :

C:.Users>username>AppData>Roaming>Adobe>AdobePhotoshop CC 2019>Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings>  Brushes.psp

Not sure where the equivalent folder is on a MAC but search for Brushes.psp.  Don't move or delete it or you will lose your loaded brushes.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 06, 2019 Mar 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Trevor

If you just create a brush or a group then the brushes.psp preference file gets updated when Photoshop closes.

The abr files are only used when loading or exporting brushes. After loading you can delete the abr as the psp file retains the loaded brushes.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 07, 2019 Mar 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

Hi Trevor

If you just create a brush or a group then the brushes.psp preference file gets updated when Photoshop closes.

The abr files are only used when loading or exporting brushes. After loading you can delete the abr as the psp file retains the loaded brushes.

Dave

So the OP has nothing to gain  by locating  the .abr file?

I'm going to have to test this.    I've closed Photoshop and renamed the  Brushes folder

Yep, still there.  So when does Photoshop look at that folder?  It definitely knows if you  save  and abr  file directly to that folder without double  clicking to install it (after restarting Photoshop of course.  Interesting Dave.  I've just learned something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2019 Aug 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Windows, go to my computer, program files, Adobe, Photoshop, presets then brushes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2019 Nov 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found an easy way to locate the Custom Brush Library - go to the hamburger icon at the very top right hand side of the Brush palette, select 'Open Brush Library' then 'User Defined,' it should be there (was trying to find my Custom Brushes, then remembered where Custom Swatches/Patterns are stored, its the same in Brushes). BTW I am working with Illustrator 2020 on Macintosh 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2020 Aug 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would using the Brushes.psp file be a good way to maintain your brushes organization across two computers? I am thinking to make a copy of Brushes.psp on my workstation, upload it to my CC cloud storage, then back at home use the file to overwrite brushes.psp on my laptop, so I can carry on working with the same brushes organized into folders. Then if I make more changes to my brushes organization, I can send the file back to my workstation.

Is this the best way to do this? I just want my brushes organized into custom folders nicely, and for that to be shared across all my computers, and for changes to update.

Thanks. I'll try this tonight so if I don't update the post just poke me and I'll let you know how it goes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made six custom brushes just yesterday and they seem to have just dissapeared! I can't find them anywhere. I tried every recommendation in this thread from everyone who posted and still no brushes, but I clearly saved them as new brush presets and I created a folder to store them all in. Do they just completely dissapear when you close the document and close Photoshop???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem! All gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2023 Jan 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found .abr files in my AppData roaming folder by searching  .abr when in Adobe  the address as text for one of the brushes is C:\Users\Simon\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Creative Cloud Libraries\LIBS\467173D7466AFB2C992015D5_AdobeID\creative_cloud\dcx\b7e2d1cd-8b49-429e-a478-3964267c99c5\components
Hope that helps
personally I hate that AppData folder  & having to go looking for brushes
Now can someone plz tell me how to make a square & diamond shaped hard brush please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines