Highlighted

which layer mode setting to make text dark over light and light over dark ?

Explorer ,
Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

CS6

I type black text over a photo, can't read it over the dark parts, try the options such as multiply, difference etc for the layer, cant find one to make it contrast opposite with the image below.

subtract divide etc, no doubt have their uses ??? BUT the useful one would be to make a layer 'opposite' to whats underneath so white occurs over black and black over white and variations etc between. I hope this isnt one of those very useful things, and many folk have typed text over photos by now,  that despite all the versions so far Adobe have overlooked.

The default is Kind and Normal, what do I need for these two ?

Cheers

Merlin.

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

which layer mode setting to make text dark over light and light over dark ?

Explorer ,
Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

CS6

I type black text over a photo, can't read it over the dark parts, try the options such as multiply, difference etc for the layer, cant find one to make it contrast opposite with the image below.

subtract divide etc, no doubt have their uses ??? BUT the useful one would be to make a layer 'opposite' to whats underneath so white occurs over black and black over white and variations etc between. I hope this isnt one of those very useful things, and many folk have typed text over photos by now,  that despite all the versions so far Adobe have overlooked.

The default is Kind and Normal, what do I need for these two ?

Cheers

Merlin.

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try something like below:

1. With the text layer active go to Layer>Layer Style>Blending Options and set the Fill Opacity to 50%

bl1.png

2. Click on Color Overlay, set the Blend Mode to Difference, change the Color to White and the Opacity to 50%

bl2.png

3. Click on Inner Shadow, set the Blend Mode to Vivid Light, change the Color to White and the Opacity to 50%

bl3.png

bl4.png

Not perfect by any means, but perhaps that gives you a starting point for furthur experimentation.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if I understand correctly, but would »Exlusion« on a Group with a white background not achieve this? 

Screenshot 2020-06-24 at 08.40.58.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines