Why can't I paint on new layer in Photoshop CS6

Contributor ,
Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK first things first. I'm using Photoshop CS6 installed locally on my desktop. The machine is a Intel core i7 with 16GB of RAM.

Svreenshot...

Photoshop brush tool.jpg

I know this has to be a stupid problem. I've been using Photoshop since version 4.0. I have only recently learned to work with Illustrator CS6. I love Illustrator. All those years I had used Corel for my drawing program and Photoshop to manipulate and refine those images. Learning Illustrator I pretty much stopped using Photoshop. I am now having really stupid problems. It's almost like I've never used Photoshop before. I can only guess it's because of Adobe's changes and improvements to the program i.e. expanding the use and range of the various tools and modes etc.

One of the first problems I ran into was not being able to select things with the "Magic Wand" tool. Some issue with the Layer type. So if I right click the layer and select Rasterize Layer the Magic Wand will now select stuff . Up until now this had always been the default state of the program. Never had to chase down layer issues. The Magic Wand tool had always just worked right out of the box. just click/select the tool then click something it would make a selection according to the tolerance you give it.

I really don't understand what's up with that. Have I changed some master setting or something?  My latest problem as of Now today is that the brush tool won't paint anything at 100% opacity. The "Pencil" tool does just fine but the "Brush" tool only gives me a translucent coverage. I have everything set to 100% but it will not give me a solid black stroke.

Does anyone have any thoughts on that one. Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong.

Photoshop brush tool+2.jpg

Here's another image with the canvas zoomed in closer. This is another issue Giving  me trouble, The hand / pan tool doesn't seem to work so well. Like here I wanted to move the work area over so that it was better positioned to illustrate what I was trying to show. but I can't move the work area around unless I'm zoomed in very close..

I've just gotten so used to Illustrator where I can pan the work area around where ever I want. In fact in Illustrator I can pan the canvas completely off the screen so that I have to zoom way, way out to find my canvas. Here in Photoshop I can't move the canvas over to the left so it's not obscured by the pallets.

And yes I can just close the pallets. but I should be able to pan the screen over to accommodate the pallets.

Any ideas, anyone ?

TOPICS
How to, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Why can't I paint on new layer in Photoshop CS6

Contributor ,
Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK first things first. I'm using Photoshop CS6 installed locally on my desktop. The machine is a Intel core i7 with 16GB of RAM.

Svreenshot...

Photoshop brush tool.jpg

I know this has to be a stupid problem. I've been using Photoshop since version 4.0. I have only recently learned to work with Illustrator CS6. I love Illustrator. All those years I had used Corel for my drawing program and Photoshop to manipulate and refine those images. Learning Illustrator I pretty much stopped using Photoshop. I am now having really stupid problems. It's almost like I've never used Photoshop before. I can only guess it's because of Adobe's changes and improvements to the program i.e. expanding the use and range of the various tools and modes etc.

One of the first problems I ran into was not being able to select things with the "Magic Wand" tool. Some issue with the Layer type. So if I right click the layer and select Rasterize Layer the Magic Wand will now select stuff . Up until now this had always been the default state of the program. Never had to chase down layer issues. The Magic Wand tool had always just worked right out of the box. just click/select the tool then click something it would make a selection according to the tolerance you give it.

I really don't understand what's up with that. Have I changed some master setting or something?  My latest problem as of Now today is that the brush tool won't paint anything at 100% opacity. The "Pencil" tool does just fine but the "Brush" tool only gives me a translucent coverage. I have everything set to 100% but it will not give me a solid black stroke.

Does anyone have any thoughts on that one. Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong.

Photoshop brush tool+2.jpg

Here's another image with the canvas zoomed in closer. This is another issue Giving  me trouble, The hand / pan tool doesn't seem to work so well. Like here I wanted to move the work area over so that it was better positioned to illustrate what I was trying to show. but I can't move the work area around unless I'm zoomed in very close..

I've just gotten so used to Illustrator where I can pan the work area around where ever I want. In fact in Illustrator I can pan the canvas completely off the screen so that I have to zoom way, way out to find my canvas. Here in Photoshop I can't move the canvas over to the left so it's not obscured by the pallets.

And yes I can just close the pallets. but I should be able to pan the screen over to accommodate the pallets.

Any ideas, anyone ?

TOPICS
How to, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 16, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the brush tool won't paint anything at 100% opacity

Change the Blending mode of the brush from Multiply to Normal in the options bar.

~ Jane

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 16, 2020 0
Contributor ,
Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's weird. Iv'e been using Photoshop since 4.0 and I don't recall that ever being an issue. In fact the only thing I recall this ever even being something to be addressed is to change opacity to either lighten or darken something and that being applied either to the brush or the layer "Opacity".

And I've trried a number of the blending options.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 16, 2020 0
Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the magic wand tool issue- check your options bar at the top when the tool is chosen. Verify your choice for Sample All Layers checkbox.

Kevin Stohlmeyer Adobe Community Professional/Adobe Certified Instructor

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 16, 2020 0
Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the Brush issue it looks like you have Wet Edges checked in the Brush panel which can cause a translucent effect. I would just start over and reset the Brush Tool by right clicking on the Brush icon on the far left of the tool options bar and click Reset Tool.

cs61.png

For panning you can use Full Screen Mode with Menu Bar,

(View>Screen Mode>Full Screen Mode with Menu Bar or press the F key

and Shift+F to get back to Standard Screen Mode)

cs62.png

On the windows version of photoshop cs6 you can enable Overscrolling in Standard Screen Mode in the windows registry as explained here:

That means you can then pan the image around in Standard Screen mode even if it does fill the screen.

https://web.archive.org/web/20141208133620/https://forums.adobe.com/message/4911152

cs63.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 16, 2020 0