• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

can PREL files created in Windows be used on a MAC?

Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using Premiere Elements on a Windows PC for several years and now am using Premiere Elemants 2020. I have a library of dozens of PREL files. My old PC just will not handle big PREL files so I  am thinking of switching to a Mac with a M1 or later chip.

If I make the switch in computer types, will I still be able to open and use the old PREL files with the Mac computer?

Norman

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

There are at least two issues that I can think of!

First is that if you buy a new Mac, you will need Premiere Elements.  Adobe only sells the current version.  The exception to that would be if you bought the 2020 on a disc in a box.  Both Mac and Windows would be in the box.  The potential problem comes when you open old projects in a new version.  As features and code change, the new may screw up the old!  Backwards compatibility is not a marketed design goal.  Simple projects might work.  C

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are at least two issues that I can think of!

First is that if you buy a new Mac, you will need Premiere Elements.  Adobe only sells the current version.  The exception to that would be if you bought the 2020 on a disc in a box.  Both Mac and Windows would be in the box.  The potential problem comes when you open old projects in a new version.  As features and code change, the new may screw up the old!  Backwards compatibility is not a marketed design goal.  Simple projects might work.  Complex projects might not.   

To see if projects are interchangeable between operating systems, you may have to test that.  There just aren't very many people that have both systems and can test it for you.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Bill.

But if you install version 2020 on your Mac, you should have no problems opening 2020 .prel files created in Windows. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  A lot of my PREL files have been made in older versions of PE, so they may not be compatible. Norman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another possible issue is if you used effects or transitions that are only available in the Windows version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK thanks. That is not much of a problem for me as I don't use them much. Norman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines