• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

File format for quality stills

Explorer ,
May 31, 2024 May 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use my LR Classic (f the latest version) for managing and working on my pictures. Inside of LR or exported to JPEG's the images look fine. However, when I go to use the images in Adobe Premier elements 2021, after exporting them from LR they look very grainy and pixelated inside Premier. I see what file formats are supported but I don't see anything about the size requirements. What settings do you recommend to use for exporting pictures from LR that will be used in Premier elements?

TOPICS
Tips and tricks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 01, 2024 Jun 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JPEGs will do just fine. 

Are you rendering your timeline before you judge the quality of the photo in Premiere Elements? Press Enter after you add your photos and the program will create a high quality preview of your timelime. Your video will look even better when you output it -- but rendering the timeline will at least show you something closer to your final, rendered piece.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 08, 2024 Jun 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  And, yes I was rendering them before judging the quality

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I didn't save the link where I read this, but a still picture and an individual frame in a video are very different

When you save a jpeg in a picture program it will often be 300 dpi

If my memory is correct, a video is 'something like' 72 dpi (this was awhile ago, so the discussion may have been about SD video, not HD)

The point being that whatever the resolution of the jpeg it will be changed to that of the video

I do know that the still pictures I add to the timeline in my HD 1280x720 project look good when I export

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 08, 2024 Jun 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"What settings do you recommend to use for exporting pictures from LR that will be used in Premier elements?"

My habit is to use the LR Classic export dialog with the quality at 100%.   If you want to save disc space, you can use 60% to 80%.   You might want to crop to the frame size in your project settings first.  Typically that is 16:9 for most projects.   DPI (dots per inch) does not matter in digital workflows.  DPI considerations are for making prints on paper.   As Steve writes, the visual qualtiy of the final output is all that matters. 

BillSprague_0-1717256611000.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An old discussion

Pictures that are "overly" large may cause video editing problems
Photo Scaling for Video https://community.adobe.com/t5/Premiere-Elements/Large-Still-Images-into-PE-One-Workflow/td-p/198343...

I ReSize pictures to 1280x720 to match video when saving out of Photoshop Elements

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@BJohnT   My experience is that later versions of Premiere Element and (maybe) on later computers, any resizing is unnecessary.   Cropping to the frame ratio, yes.  Reducing or compressing the pixels, no. 

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines