• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to preserve original AVI video quality?

New Here ,
Jan 23, 2022 Jan 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently started transferring my miniDV tapes to my computer into AVI format. I am using Premiere Elements 12 for basic editing. When I go to render my video, there is no AVI format available, just a bewildering array of options to use. What is the best video option to use that best preserves the original AVI format? I also plan to upload them all to YouTube. There are two categories I think I should pick from: MPEG and AVCHD. There are 18 choices under MPEG and 15 under AVCHD! How on earth do I know which one to pick?

TOPICS
Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NTSC (US standard) is 720x480 - is that what you have?

If that is what you have, you need to pick an export setting that matches your video

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, when I use PE to view the AVI file properties it shows 720x480, 29.97 frame rate. And yes it would be NTSC. My Camcorder is a Sony DCR-TRV950.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 24, 2022 Jan 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wow I used to have a DCR-TRV950.

DV-avi as export format should be available under Advanced Settings (or something like that).

Uploading to YouTube would be a mp4 but be aware of the pixel aspect ratio.

For archiving, I would go for avchd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a quick test and compared viewing the original AVI to an AVCHD "MP4-NTSC DVD Standard" rendered output from Premiere Elements and to be honest with you I didn't really notice any quality difference! The original AVI was 13 GB, and the .MP4 was only 140 Mb!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines