• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Shake Reduction causes black borders.

Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2023 Dec 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I apply Shake Reduction (Detailed) to my mp4 video clip it and export or render it then it has black borders around it and doesn't match my other clips that are full view in 1920 x 1080 format. The format numbers are the same so it must be adding a black border rather than resizing it to match the other clips without borders. I can understand that to eliminate the shake it needs to crop but I need it to then enlarge back to original size with no black border. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks.

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you go into Applied Effects you can lower the amount of Shake Reduction and that should fix it. I usually find its default is higher than necessary and I set mine for closer to 15%.

If that doesn't do it, can you post a screen capture showing the black frame? I've never seen black borders around a Shake Reduction video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I did a 15% crop vs smooth rather than the default 50% it added less of a black border but it's still there. I left the smoothness setting at 50%. Here is one screenshot without shake reduction and one with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 23, 2023 Dec 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to the program's Edit menu and tell us what appears on the General page under Project Settings.

Then open the video you're editing in the free download MediaInfo. In MediaInfo, set View to Text and then copy the complete report it generates and paste it to this forum.

With these two pieces of information we may better be able to help you. Yours is by no means a typical experience, so let's see if there's a mismatch or a codec issue in your video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are the project settings and media info page for the video with shake reduction applied on the clip with the cropped black border. When I looked at the original unstabilized clip in project settings it was the same numbers. I then tried doing a small cut clip within the longer video with stabilization settings reduced from default of 50% for Smoothness and Crop vs Smooth to 25% for both and had no cropped black border problem. Parts of the video are very shaky though and reduced settings only reduced the shake slightly so I'd like to be able to apply closer to full correction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your project is set up incorrectly, it does not match the footage.

Your project is set to 1080i which is interlaced and upper field first. Your footage is progressive. You need 1080p.

Need to start over with the correct settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann's suggestion is worth checking out. As an experiment start a new project with only that clip and let the program match your video specs. See if that makes a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 24, 2023 Dec 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve, I watched you excellent youtube Premier Elements series and in Part 2 you discuss opening a Project. I'm shooting GoPro at 1080 30 fps that I believe is default landscape mode. I plan to view on PC, smart TV, and uploading to youtube. When I open the New Project box should I normally select lanscape 16.9 - 1920x1080, 29.97 ? The Selected Preset says ...1080p. Should I also select the box "Force selected project preset to this project" ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not Steve.  I suspect he would suggest that you let PrE set up the project for you.   Open a new project.  Use Add Media to one of your best GoPro standard files in the project.  Then slide it to the timeline.  PrE then will set the project to the closest match to the footage.   The only time you need to pick a setting and use the "Force" box is when PrE doesn't do a good job of matching your primary footage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I don't know how it got to 1080i. I shot this with GoPro which does not use interlacing so I guess that means it is 1080p. I also did not begin by starting a project, I just added a clip with Add Media. I thought why clutter things up and complicate it with a Project file but maybe that is a problem? When I exported the clip after doing some editing and closed the program and later opened the edited clip again with Add Media and went to Edit - Project Settings - General, the Editing Mode box is locked into 1080i and grayed out so no other options are visible. I guess that is because I don't have a saved Project but I still don't see why 1080i got selected somewhere down the line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beware that not all footage is suited to be stabilized.

WS is designed to correct hand held footage.

But is the camera is all over the place and zooming in/out you get black bars.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes this series of clips had some places with lots of handheld camera shake and lots of quick panning inside a boat and its lockers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Share Reduction can help but it does not do miracles.

I have recently used it (APE 2021 on WIN10) to smooth footage from a cheap HD action cam

that did NOT have any built-in stabilisation for some underwater sequences.  I set the

"Crop Vs Smooth"  to 12% as recommended on page 123 of Steve Grisetti's Guide to APE 2021

and the results looked pretty good:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Taowg12k35U

Under water sequences start at 1:00.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That looks pretty good to me. I'll experiment with different Crop Vs Smooth settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines