Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AVCHD files are missing audio track

New Here ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all,

I have downloaded trial version of Adobe Premiere Elements 2018 and when I import AVCHD .MTS files it does not show audio track, it shows video track only. These AVCHD files are from SONY camera HDR-CX450. I have Windows 7 HP, 64-bit, RAM 8 GB.

When I import mp4 files from my mobile or XAVC mp4 files from the same SONY camera, audio tracks are visible in Adobe Premiere 2018. Audio is also visible in my previous version - Adobe Premiere Elements 11.

Interesting is that I think it worked fine the first day but on the second day when I wanted to spend more time with it, there was one popup to install some update for Adobe Premiere 2018 and since I installed it I could not see that audio... I have absolutely no idea where the problem is. Thank you for help

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Here's the deal:

Starting with Premiere Elements 2018, Adobe has moved to native OS support for AC3 audio decoding. That support in Windows systems only comes with Windows 8.1 or later. Unfortunately, Windows 7 lacks native support for AC3 decoding (or more specifically, requires the installation of third-party decoder software to enable such audio support). You see, Adobe had been supplied an AC3 encoder/decoder from a third-party redistributor in previous versions of its software product, and t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your video's audio PCM or AC3?

You can check by opening the video clip in MediaInfo (a free download) and setting the View menu to Text. (You can also copy and paste that report to this forum and we'll interpret it for you.)

Premiere Elements does not support AC3 Dolby Digital audio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much Steve,

indeed my format of MTS files is AC3:

So I am not able to use Adobe Premiere studio for movie creation?

I am really surprised because Sony is big camera producer and Adobe does not support their AC3 audios? Also I can edit such MTS files including audio in previous version Adobe Premiere Elements 11...

Because I am used to Adobe, is there any other easy solution pls?

Thank you again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the deal:

Starting with Premiere Elements 2018, Adobe has moved to native OS support for AC3 audio decoding. That support in Windows systems only comes with Windows 8.1 or later. Unfortunately, Windows 7 lacks native support for AC3 decoding (or more specifically, requires the installation of third-party decoder software to enable such audio support). You see, Adobe had been supplied an AC3 encoder/decoder from a third-party redistributor in previous versions of its software product, and that particular third-party redistributor is currently in litigation over the now-expired Dolby license for the codec. As a result of this, Adobe could not include an AC3 decoder or encoder from anyone in this and future versions of its products (at least for the foreseeable future). It has also pulled recent (within the past three years) versions of its software products containing the AC3 codec from distribution and download.

Sorry about this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Windows 10 and downloaded the Media Pack, but that did nothing to help resolve the issue of AC3.

I thought that pack was supposed to fix that issue.

Help appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2018 Jan 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have just bought official Windows 10 pack and I plan to install it within a week. I just hope that my expense and time spent with re-installation will not be useless and Adobe Premiere will work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We could not get it to work with several machines running Windows 10 Pro and the Media Pack

that was suggested.

I have 20 cameras at our community access channel that only record Dolby audio. If you check

the supported file formats from Oct. 2017, you'll notice that it supports AC3.

Supported file formats in Adobe Premiere Elements

Let me know how it goes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Follow up. After speaking with tech. support, I was told it was a known

.MTS bug in Elements 2018. I was also told they're working on fixing

this. Who really knows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure the tech is correct. I don't believe it is a bug in the program. It is an intentional omission. Adobe has elected to no longer support AC3 audio in Premiere Elements, based on licensing costs.

And, if it is an intentional omission, it's not likely a fix will be released.

I could be wrong. But that's my understanding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2018 Feb 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have formatted disks and reinstalled new OS Windows 10. All seems fine now. I have audio with AVCHD type files (.MTS). in Adobe Premiere Elements 2018. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2018 Feb 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please mark this question as correctly answered, Janp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2018 Mar 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have the problem not having audio in Adobe Premiere Elements 2018 from mts-files from my JVC-camera on my Win7 PC. I checked the mts-files and they don't have AC3 (Dolby) format, but stereo (2 channels) format. Still no audio. When importing same files in Magix Video DeLuxe 2015 program, other format files like MP4 are oke. I have not such problems in in Windows Media Player or other videoprograms. Previously (till a few moths ago) I worked with Premiere Pro CC and also Premiere Pro CS6 and everything worked just fine. But because these products as CC subscription became too expensive for me I bought Premiere Elements 2018.

I visited fora, knowledge bases but I cannot find any solution.

This product seems not to work properly. My guess is that this is not a windows or codec issue on my PC, but a very serious bug in Premiere Elements 2018 that Adobe should fix A.S.A.P.

If anyone knows the solution, I'd be happy to hear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please share a clip on DropBox or similar. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can share a clip on Dropbox or send it with Wetransfer. But how to share with you? I don't know your email adres.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Put it on DropBox and put the link here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this works, but here it is:

Dropbox - 00000.mts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works fine on my computer. 

Do you see the "wave" or "track" in audio line?

Untitled.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for testing. I don't have the audio track visible. I also found out that my stereo sound from the JVC camcorder is in fact a AC3 (dolby) audio format. The fact that in all my other video editing programs (including Premiere Pro whne it was still active on my PC) I can see the audio track, here the sound and use the audio, makes it obvious that this is a Adobe Premiere Elements 2018 related issue that should be solved by Adobe. Appearantly only in the combination of Windows 7, because your test succeeded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I apologize that I don't have a simple fix. 

I used the (free) program "MediaInfo" to look at your file.  It says your audio is AC-3.  

It will not work in Premiere Elements 2018 on a Windows 7 computer.  It is not a bug.  It was a corporate decision across the product line that current customers would have Windows 8 or Windows 10 where the AC-3/Dolby support comes from the operating system.

That leaves you with a couple choices:

1- Update you computer to Windows 7

2- Convert your footage with the (free) Handbrake

(Try this converted clip:  Dropbox - JVC_HandbrakeNo1.mp4 )

3- Find a copy of Premiere Elements 15 or earlier.  (Adobe itself does not sell it anymore.)

4- Use another brand of video editing software.

5- Change your JVC record settings.

Your file: 

Untitled.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help. Unbelievable that Adobe simply don't wants to support AC-3 audio anymore.

1) You state: update your computer to Win7, but that's what I already have. You probably ment Win8 or Win10?

2) " Convert your footage with the (free) Handbrake"  where do I find it? Link?

3) I'll contact Adobe about this. I rather get my money back.

4) " Use another brand of video editing software"  I probably have no other choice if Adobe don't wants fix it.

5) not possible. The camcorder only use this audio format.

It quit stupid that every video sw brand on my PC supports AC3 format - as did Premier Pro too (until I had to stop my subscription) - but only Premiere Elements 2018 does not. I paid quite some money for a product that is not working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Per my discussion with a Tech support on Feb 19, 2018, I am told that Adobe is aware of this issue, i.e. there is no audio when a file that is in AVCHD or MTS format is imported to Premier Elements 2018.  I am also told that Adobe is in the process of finding a solution for this known issue.

The quickfix that was suggested in the mean time is to convert the AVCHD file to MP4 using a free software called "Handbrake".  Once converted, import the MP4 file into Premier Elements 2018.  I did it once and it worked. 

But my current predicament is that  I took a video yesterday that has 19 AVCHD files.  This means I have to convert each of the 19 AVCHD files into  MP4 format and then import the whole 19 MP4 files into Premier Elements 2018.  Not a fun exercise. 

Hope Adobe fixes the issue.  Or refund the money!!!!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tomc74686079  wrote

....But my current predicament is that  I took a video yesterday that has 19 AVCHD files.  This means I have to convert each of the 19 AVCHD files into  MP4 format and then import the whole 19 MP4 files into Premier Elements 2018. 

Handbrake has a batch mode.  Put the 19 clips in a folder and it will run the contents of the folder before you can get to the coffee pot and back. 

Good luck!

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill,

I put the 19 AVCHD files in a folder called "AVCHD Files".  I then directed Handbrake to that folder using the "Open Source" button.  I now see the 19 AVCHD files in Handbrake in the "Title" drop down. The way I understand, I have to convert each of the 19 AVCHD files one by one, naming each of the 19.

Am  I doing this right?

tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is why:

Adobe Creative Cloud apps use native OS support for Dolby

Best thing is to update your OS to Windows 10: problem solved.

Support for Windows 7 by MS will end in 2020 anyway.

If you still had PrPro you would be facing the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1.  I meant to type Win 8 or Win 10.  Sorry.

2.  Handbrake is from:  https://handbrake.fr/   Read about it here:  HandBrake - Wikipedia

3.  Contact should work here:  Adobe Help Center

4.  Cyberlink PowerDirector has a lot of fans.  So does Vegas Movoe Studio.

5.  AVCHD is normally a good format. 

As a user, I agree it is quite stupid!   From Adobe's point of view, it might make sense to move forward as Microsoft moves beyond Windows 7 and 8.  Part of the explanation involves improvements in security.  

Adobe made the decision across the board.  A full seven of Adobe Creative Cloud products, including Premiere Pro, from 2018 forward will not have Dolby AC-3 audio built in.  It will come from the operating system.   Reference:  Adobe Creative Cloud apps use native OS support for Dolby

Please read the second "Common Question":  "I’m on Windows 7 and just bought a new camera that records in AVC-HD. Does this mean I have to update my operating system and Creative Cloud software version to hear my audio?"

Good luck moving forward and I personally apologize for what you are dealing with.

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines