• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Converting VHS to DVD and digital files

Explorer ,
Dec 29, 2017 Dec 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am converting old VHS videos to DVDs for some family members and want to put on USB flash drives for others.   The dvds are turning out fine but I'm having trouble with the flash drive videos.   I've only tried usb 2.0, not 3.0 yet, feel this might make a difference.

I just notice the video is more choppy when people are moving than in the dvd.     I've tried just copying the dvd files to the usb drive and I've exported an mpg (mp2) file from premiere elements, both with same choppy result.  Should I try another file type?

Next, the dvd video automatically fills my tv screen but I can't get the usb video to do the same...it stays in 4:3.  I've tried all of the video settings on my Samsung smart tv but nothing helps.

Last, is there a way to use menus with the usb video like a dvd?

Thanks for any help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 29, 2017 Dec 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

USB 3.0 or 2.0 will not matter.

You might try another file type.  You didn't say what version you are using, but I would look for an AVCHD 1920x1080 choice that ends in .MP4 and uses the H.264 codec. 

You can't make old 4:3 match new 16:9.  The dvd process is enlarging the center and chopping off parts.  The smart TVs have some zoom settings that may do the same.

There is no way to make menus for videos that are not DVDs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines