• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting to Disc for Playback on DVD Player (PRE8)

New Here ,
Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to create a DVD of a slide show created in Adobe Premiere Elements 8, however none of my attempts will play on any DVD player I try, with the exception of a disk drive on a PC.  I’ve tried DVD-R and DVD+R media.   Here are the steps I’ve been taking once I create the slideshow:

1. I select Share -> Disc -> Burn to “Disc”
  2. Under Presets select “NTSC_DolbyDVD
  3. I uncheck “Fit Contents to available space” (this is a very short slide show.)
  4. Move the quality slider all the way to the right for highest quality.
  5. Finally click on “Burn”.

The resulting DVD contains the expected folder named VIDEO_TS.  This folder contains all the expected files, i.e.: 

• VIDEO_TS.BUP
  • VIDEO_TS.IFO
  • VTS_01_0.BUP
  • VTS_01_0.BUP
  • VTS_01.VOB

No matter which DVD player I try to play this disc I always get a message that says disc cannot be read or disc is unrecognized.  I’ve tried five different players all with the same result.  I’m in the US, so all the players I’ve tried are NTSC.  I have run out of ideas and don’t know how to troubleshoot further.  Can anyone help?

TOPICS
Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved from Pr Pro to Pr Elements forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure your DVD burner had the latest firmware.

Also use a well-known brand such as Verbatim.

Does the disk play in the computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the disc does play on a PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can play the disc on your computer, then the disc has been successfully created. The issue is that the DVD players aren't recognizing the disc.

Ann is right when  she's says that brand can make a difference. Cheap Memorex discs often produce less compatible discs than better brands like Verbatim.

I've also found that my success rate if much better if I save the disc files to my hard drive rather than burn directly to a disc and then use a program like ImgBurn to actually burn the disc. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have saved the files to my hard drive and burned to a disc using using: native Windows Explorer, Ashampoo disc burner and ImgBurn, all with the same result.  I have also saved as an ISO file and burned with ImgBurn software, still doesn't work.  I have been using Verbatim and Sony media.  The 4  DVD players I have been testing on are range representing units built from 10-years ao to 2-years ago.  I just don't know how to troubleshoot further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do your DVD players have USB ports?  Many do.  If you export your slide show to an MP4 file on USB memory stick, you may be able to play that on your DVD players.   Most current TVs also have a USB port that can work to play MP4 files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill's suggestion may be your best solution.

The problem is not with the program. If it was, you wouldn't be able to play the disc on your computer. Your DVD players are having trouble reading the home-burned disc. Sony disc players are notorious for this. What brand is your player?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried these discs on two different Sony's, one Phillips and an older Toshiba, all with the same result.

I, too, don't think it's a problem with Primiere however, there has to be a common root cause given the same result on multiple players, I just don't know how to trouble shoot.

Using a USB solution is not suitable for general distrubtion.

Thanks for your response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Using a USB solution is not suitable for general distribution."

My view is that 'general distribution' has changed.  The reason is that our viewers have changed their habits.  They watch what we make on phones, tablets, desktops and laptops a lot more often than their TVs connected to disc players.   Instead of buying discs, consider paying a minimum subscription fee to Vimeo.   Consider what Netflix did to video rentals stores like Blockbuster!

Other signs of change include that Premier Elements can't make Blu-Rays anymore.  The shelf space given to disks at office supply and electronics stores is minimal.  The choice of players on display at electronics stores is down to a very few.  It is hard to find a laptop now with a disc player in it.   Discs are going down the same path as 8 track, cassettes and VHS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Other signs of change include that Premier Elements can't make Blu-Rays anymore.

That is of a total different reason: it all has to do with licenses.

You can however still produce BD compatible files to use in 3rd party authoring software without re-encoding.

On a side note, I still make BD for myself.

Just finished two, made from D8 footage of 20 years ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is of a total different reason: it all has to do with licenses.

By @Ann Bens

Licenses is certainly one reason.  Other reasons might include that Adobe does not see a future need that justifies paying for those licenses.  This is conjecture.  I do not know any facts other than nobody I know wants me to give them discs anymore!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i fully agree with you, perhaps I mis-charactorezed "general distribution".  My target audience of approximately 100 individuals are mostly geriatric's, early baby-boomers and quite resistant to change, however, they did make the transition from VHF to DVDs, some don't even have a computer (imagine?) and many of them only have primative flip-phones.  In this case, DVDs are the perfect solution and should be fully realizable even in the current technilogical environment.  However, we digress as this thread should be about how to make an available work as it should.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My experience creating a DVD
Windows 10 Pro 64bit version 20H2 Build 19042.1052
Premiere Elements 2021 Version 19.0 (20210127.daily.2235820)
Lite-On DVD writer model IHAS124-14 ImgBurn 2.5.8.0
Taiyo Yuden single layer blanks
Verbatim dual layer blanks

I create an ISO with PE2021 and I have ImgBurn configured to use a write speed of 1x... it will auto adjust to the slowest speed possible with the combination of disc and writer

All discs I create play just fine in my Samsung BD-J5100 player at TV (Samsung is about 3 years old)

My discs do not play at all (not recognized) in an old (10 years old?) Go-Video DVR4400

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try  Verbatim DVDs with the Azo dye.

Taiyo Yudens are OK, too, but I don't think they are still being manufactured.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines