Exit

Filling the screen

Community Beginner ,
Dec 24, 2020 Dec 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I have an odd problem with PRE.

I have to copy some old holiday videos from VHS to my PC with Honestech VHS to DVD.

The VHS was 4 x 3 mode. 

The video captures as 720 x 576 Mpeg.

This one particular tape I have copied seems fine I have edited it into three parts.

Each part is 720 x 576 and when played fills the screen as it should.

However, when I joined them all together the picture is letterbox size.

I have tried sharing as Pal DVD standard or Pal DVD widescreen with the same result.

Can anyone help, please?

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no experience with a Honestech VHS to DVD unit.   Premiere Elements is aimed at editing footage from cameras with common codecs.   Conversion devices seem to use unusual condecs.   Without knowing more, my guess is that you might want to try using the very good (and free) program Handbrake to translate your video files to a more common structure.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Look under the programs Edit menu. What is listed on the General page under Project Settings? Most likely it's a widescreen resolution.

Your video is being digitized by a device that is saving it as 4:3 but the video is not communicating that to Premiere Elements. I can link you to information on a device that will save your video as 4:3 that Premiere Elements will recognize. Otherwise you'll need to start a new project and manually select the settings for a 4:3 video format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines