• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

generating peak file freezes project on Premiere Elements 14

New Here ,
Jan 30, 2017 Jan 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have imported a 2.5 gb .avi file of 8mm film that was scanned by a professional movie film company.  There is no sound with the .avi file.  I can only work with my project for a minute or two and then it freezes and I have to reboot.  I have noticed that the Generating Peak File info box in the lower right stops at the same percentage every time and coincides with the freeze.  The same things happens on two separate computers. I do not want sound with this video. How can I stop generating a PEAK file or stop freezing the project?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is original source 8mm film or 8mm video tape? In any event, how did you digitize this video into a computer file?

AVIs come in thousands of different flavors, and we may need to open up this AVI using a program like Media Info to find out what codecs, frame rates and other specs this video files is using. Most cheaper digitizers are designed pretty much for creating DVDs from old videos and they are designed to work almost exclusively with the editing software that comes with the digitizer. The AVIs it is creating may not be easily editable in Premiere Elements.

How long are the videos that the program is not completing it Peak File on?

What processor do you have and with how much RAM? What operating system are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original source was 8mm film and was scanned and saved as an .avi file. The avi file starts out as a 30 minute video, and what I am trying to do is edit out everything except frames of a certain person who's memorial is this coming Saturday morning. I have edited the avi file down to about 8 minutes. However, I have a new problem in that when I try to move (cut & paste) various frames to their proper chronological position within the video, it wipes out or cuts off the frames that were there before and I have to undo and try countless times, but I can only do so much in the 60-seconds or so that I have before the system freezes.

I am running Windows 7 on a brand new DELL XPS with 32 gb ram and 7 TB of hard disk space.

The avi video starts out with a banner that says: "4:2:2 Debenham Media Rank Cintel" The movie film was scanned and transferred directly to a hard drive in 25Mb/s DV rate.

This is my first time using Adobe Premiere Elements and so far, I'm not at all impressed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The logo at the beginning of your video is from the company that telecine-ed your 8mm movies. It tells us nothing about the specs of the file. As I said, there are thousands of possible codecs and specs for video files, and there's a very good chance the company that digitized your movie did not give a file in an editable format.

I'm sorry that you are not impressed with Premiere Elements. But it really works very well when you're using the workflow it was designed for. All of the issues you've described so far could be related to the specs of this video.

If you'd like to continue this quest, open one of your videos in the free download Media Info. In Media Info, go to the View men and set it to Tree View, and then either copy the information or post a screen shot of the report to this forum. Once we know what's inside your video, we'll be better able to recommend a course of action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2017 Jan 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The following is the make-up of my avi file from Media Info:

General

Complete name : E:\VIDEO_8mm_Transfer_2.avi

Format : AVI

Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave

Commercial name : DVCPRO

Format profile : OpenDML

File size : 2.46 GiB

Duration : 12 min 11 s

Overall bit rate mode : Constant

Overall bit rate : 28.9 Mb/s

Video

ID : 0

Format : DV

Commercial name : DVCPRO

Bit rate mode : Constant

Bit rate : 24.4 Mb/s

Encoded bit rate : 28.8 Mb/s

Width : 720 pixels

Height : 480 pixels

Display aspect ratio : 4:3

Frame rate mode : Constant

Frame rate : 29.970 (29970/1000) FPS

Standard : NTSC

Chroma subsampling : 4:1:1

Bit depth : 8 bits

Scan type : Interlaced

Scan order : Bottom Field First

Compression mode : Lossy

Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 2.357

Time code of first frame : 00:00:56;25

Time code source : Subcode time code

Stream size : 2.45 GiB (100%)

Audio

ID : 0-0

Format : PCM

Muxing mode : DV

Muxing mode, more info : Muxed in Video #1

Bit rate mode : Constant

Bit rate : 1 536 kb/s

Encoded bit rate : 0 b/s

Channel(s) : 2 channels

Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz

Bit depth : 16 bits

Stream size : 134 MiB (5%)

Encoded stream size : 0.00 Byte (0%)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the DV-AVI, the easiest standard definition video format to edit. There really is no reason whatsoever you should be having any trouble at all editing this video. The only liability I see is the length of the video -- but on a reasonably powered system, this shouldn't be an issue.

You still haven't told us what processor you have -- only the model of your computer. What processor do you have?

You also say you have Windows 7, but you haven't said if you have the 32-bit or 64-bit version of the operating system. I'm assuming, with your huge RAM load, you're using the 64-bit version, but it's important to clarify.

Is it also safe to assume your 7 TB of hard drive space is all on one hard drive and that that drive is formatted NTFS and not FAT 32?

I'm asking these things because if your computer has the specs it appears to have and you're editing DV-AVIs, you should be able to edit even half hour clips of video with your computer not even working up a sweat.

BTW, you do also have Quicktime 7 installed, per the program's system requirements, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are the computer specs:

6th Generation Intel Core i7-6700 3.4 GHz Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz), Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-bit)

• 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2133MHz, 1TB Solid State Drive + 6TB (7200 RPM) SATA Hard Drive

• NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5 Graphics, 1 x Dual-Link DVI-I, 1 x HDMI 2.0, 3 x DisplayPort 1.2, 1024 CUDA Cores, 440 Watt Power Supply

• DVD Burner (Writes DVD/CD), Dell Wireless 1703 802.11b/g/n, Bluetooth v4.0+LE, Integrated 7.1 with WAVE MAXXAudio 4

Dell UltraSharp U2715H 27-Inch Screen LED

Premiere Elements is loaded on the solid state drive (SSD) and the video files are kept on the 6TB hard drive.

The system boogies through just about anything... until it hangs.

I don't know about the Quicktime 7 program. If it installs with Premiere, I suppose it's there. If not, I'll have to look into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dennisp10639088 wrote:

. If it installs with Premiere, I suppose it's there. If not, I'll have to look into it.

It doesn't install with Premiere Elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob is right. You need to install Quicktime 7 per the program's system requirements.

Also, have you got all of your media and project files on your second hard drive? That would get the most efficient workflow out of your system.

Although I can't imagine that's bogging things down. This system could easily edit 4k without so much as a hiccup. That DV-AVI is giving it trouble is beyond comprehension.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed Quicktime 7. No change. The peak file still hangs up at the exact same place every time. Is there a way to turn off the generation of the peak file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 01, 2017 Feb 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering if the video file may have been corrupted.

Can you try a new project and use a copy of your backup (I assume you have one) of the video file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used two separate source files of completely different subject matter on a separate computer (at work) and still had the same freeze, but at a different location in the percentage of the peak file generation.

My theory is that because there is no audio with these 8mm film transfers to avi files, it's confusing the program that is expecting audio. I probably should start with a standard video file to set the program parameters and then add the 8mm film avi files to it. This morning I started a new project and added media by dropping in a 2-hour standard VHS tape that had been converted to avi. So far, no problems. After editing the VHS/avi file, I will try adding the 8mm film transfer avi file and see if it still locks up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then I'm stumped. There is absolutely no reason this program on your machine should have any problems whatsoever with this video format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2017 Feb 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your assistance. I abandoned the avi file input format. When I had my 8mm films transferred to digital, I also made a DVD in addition to the avi file. So I started over from scratch and I read the file in from the DVD and it worked just fine. I don't understand why Adobe Premiere Elements 14 didn't like the avi file input, but it just didn't. Thanks again. dp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2019 Dec 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So so strange.  I am having the EXACT same issue with, get this, a Super 8 film digitized to DVD then transferred to my computer as Transfer2_avi. Trfansfer2. Wow.  I guess I'll do as you did, import directly from the DVD file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines