Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Installing to an SSD

New Here ,
Dec 06, 2018 Dec 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I have premiere elements 15 installed onto my Laptop.

I have just purchased a new desktop computer with a 250gb SSD loaded with windows 10 and my other programs and a 2TB hard drive.  I also have a 250gb USB Samsung T3 SSD onto which I have installed some of my programs and they work fine but when I try to install Premiere Elements 15 I get an error message that says it must be installed onto a a "root" storage device. I presume that it means the SSD with the windows on.  Ok, at this stage it is not a big deal but I intend to gear up to Premiere Pro and would like to install, run, use and store using the stand alone T3.

Has anyone tried to do this or will Prem Pro also shout for its "root" dummy.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 06, 2018 Dec 06, 2018

Short answer: No.

Long answer:

External Hard Drive

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just guessing ( I have old cs6 only..not subscription cc ) but I imagine the root is where the various functions of validating the program and communicating with your computer is sorta preferred by Adobe.

I just put programs (and OS) on root. Everything else is split up into internal (off motherboard directly) SSD and so on.

But I don't have to deal with handshake with adobe to run any programs I bought from them.

: )

In terms of speed (xfer rate etc.) I think some modern external SSD hardware works OK 'storage' of source material,  Full HD and so on. I just don't do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Short answer: No.

Long answer:

External Hard Drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is common practice to install a program on the boot drive.

Especially if you want to run Premiere Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2018 Dec 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Many thanks for your prompt replys.

After a long deliberation and that the fact that so many people have given poor reviews for Premier Pro, I have decided to ditch the Idea.  At this stage I am not doing enough editing to justify the subscriptions.

So I have installed the free version of Da vinci reslove 15 onto my root drive. Althoughit is still very early, I think I am going to enjoy this very powerful software.

Thanks again

Arthur

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Arthur,

You've gone on to other software.  If others read this, there may be another approach.

I travel a lot so my primary computer is a laptop.  A few years ago I bought one with a 500 GB SSD and a larger HDD, both built in.  Premiere Elements (and other Adobe software) is installed on the SSD.  More important is that I have a reserved section on the SSD where I put projects in progress.  The project file, all the media and scratch disks are there while I'm working on the project. 

The result is smooth editing and speedy output rendering, including 4K UHD video files and slideshows with original RAW image files.  There is a considerable boost having the media on the SSD because read and write times are so much improved.

When a project is complete, I move the entire folder and contents to the HDD or external drives for storage.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines