• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

MOV Files to Elements 2019/Add Media Failure/File not supported or required codec is not installed

New Here ,
Jun 08, 2020 Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Team & Community,

I'm having challenges uploading MOV files to Elements 2019 using Windows 10 on my Dell computer.  I've researched this and discovered two options - adding codec or converting Mov files to Mp4 with a converter. I found a paid conversion program but is that the harder/more difficult path?

Can someone please advise how and which codec to add so the MOV files will work without an Mp4 conversion?  

I am decently tech savy but appreciate a cliff note/adobe for dummies reply here as all I've read on other post hasn't helped me figure this out yet. Thank you!

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The challenge with MOV files is that they are only an envelope in which any of dozens of codecs and compression systems can be used, so it's very hard to identify exactly which MOV you're working with.

You can try installing Quicktime for Windows to see if it provides you the necessary codecs. (Users usually disable QuicktimePlayer.exe for security reasons once they've installed this package.)

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL762?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

If that doesn't do it, you can either identify the specs using a program like MediaInfo or simply run the file through Handbrake to convert it to an editable MP4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve,

Appreciate your reply sir.

I use my iPhone Pro Max 11 for much of my video creation. Not sure if that helps ascertain what type of MOV files I have then but thought I would offer those details. If a codex is identified that could work, how does one install that, and does that then enable MOV in 

Very confused on the Quicktime suggestion provided by you and others. Thought Quicktime was not supported anymore? And if I do download Quicktime does that mean MOV will work on Elements 2019?

Handbrake keeps coming up and I also saw Wondershare Converter, is that acceptable? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where do the move files come from and would you like to share a sample on DropBox or similar?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply Whsprague,

Files come from iPhone 11 Pro Max. Not opposed to sharing those details but need to save a sample. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Odds are that your iPhone 11 Pro Max defaults to the "highest" video setting that uses the codec called HEVC, also called H.265.   That codec won't work in Premiere Elements 2019.   Adobe didn't add that codec until version 2020.

If I'm gessing right, you can solve the problem by picking a different recond setting on your phone.  I think, on some iPhones, it is called "most compatable".  It uses H.264 for a codec.  Picture quality is the same but files are larger.    

The other solution is to use the (free) program called Handbrake to convert the H.265/HEVC footage to H.264.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whsprague,

Thank you sir for your assistance. Seems crazy to me that this feature isnt available in Adobe 2019 w/ appropriate Codec.  Iphone is a very popular tool to take videos on. Was hoping not to have to convert my many MOV files.

Would Handbrake be good for batch uploads or just one offs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Handbrake does batch conversions very well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines